Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 02:28:30 PM

Author Topic: Need help with 2.5D operation of Mach3/Galil system  (Read 4980 times)

Need help with 2.5D operation of Mach3/Galil system
« on: February 19, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
Up until now my system has been working very well. I've gone to implement the 2.5D feature and can't get it to work at all. Same old story; I have a hot knife on a valve. The hot knofe runs all the time. The valve switches when it gets into position to make a seal. I thought I could use the 2.5D on pin#6 but for the life of me can't get it to go.

Quick breakdown:
Vetric Cut2D
Mach3
Galil DMC-1822 2 axis controller card.

All homing and drives work perfect. I can home, load G-code and it'll draw out the pattern flawlessly. Now that I've gone to implement the "Z positive/negative" action to control the switch valve I cannot get a signal from the system to do this.

When I run Galil's SmartTerm I can turn the pin#6 output on and off with no problems.

Some other clues (?):

On the DIAG screen OUTPUT ENABLE LEDS are lit for ENABLE 1,2,3 bit not 4,5,6.
All M-codes work (M3,M4,M5,M7,M8,M9). I can enter the code for each on the command line and they work.
I can command an X or Y (G0 X24 Y24) and it works perfectly.

The Galil breakout board looks like this:

PIN#  OUTPUT#
2       6
3       8
4       5
5       2
19     4
20     1
21     3
18     7

The M-Codes are set up for M3-pin1, M4-pin2, M7-pin3 and M8-pin4. I thought there might be a conflict on output 6 being on pin 2 but when changed makes no difference.

I really need to get this so that the leadin generated from Vectric CUT2D doesn't switch the valve but I can't get that far before reliably switching this pin on command.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

P.S. One thisng that would be of good use is a window that allows direct access like though SmartTerm. Right now you have to jump back and forth to see it a particular function is working.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 10:46:44 AM by mtripoli »
2.5D frustration
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2009, 02:12:35 PM »
I have a machine that is an X-Y table. The cutter is a hot air knife. I'm using Mach3 with a Galil DMC-1822 PCI controller card.

Cut2D generates perfect G-code; however I need to be able to use the "2.5D" mode of Mach3 to turn the relay on and off to the air solenoid during moves. To be more specific, I am cutting internal shapes out as well so I can't have the hot air stream dragging across the part during moves.  I can't use "M3"; this turns the relay on at the beginning of the cut and doesn't turn it off until the end. I understand that the Mach3 software will interprete Z moves (Z+ turns on Pin#6/ Z- turns it off or vice-versa); however I can not get this to work. I've tried every configuration I can think of. Part of the frustration is I have a series of test lights on the outputs of the Gailil card. Using their SmarTerm software I can verify every I/O works correctly. When I try to do this with Mach3 nothing.

Can anyone shed any light on this? I am at my wits end...

Thanks.
Re: Need help with 2.5D operation of Mach3/Galil system
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 02:45:47 PM »
I've, just merged the two threads you started.

No need to start different threads regarding the same topic. Just lest chances to get your question answered...

I have no galil, and have never tried the 2.5d setting...

Couple of suggestions,
Make sure the Z is 2.5D on output#6 has a checkmark on the general config screen.

make sure you have a pin number assigned to the #6 output, and that is not assigned to any other output or input etc...

quick question, have you tried to add a button on your screen and script it to toggle output 6 on and off? just as a test that you can toggle the output trough mach3

regards
Fernando
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 02:53:34 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I understand about two threads; I'm just a little "anxious"...

I haven't tried a new button. Is there a way to do this through a command line or the "teach" mode?

Thanks again.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 04:42:00 PM »
nope... youll have to add the button and code the script