Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:23:51 PM

Author Topic: toggle spindle CW/CCW  (Read 6743 times)

toggle spindle CW/CCW
« on: February 18, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »
Hi everybody..

Whell I'm busy  retrofitting an emco compact5 cnc.

The retrofit is going fine but i like to add a feature which I have problems with..

I fitted a new 3-phase motor on my lathe and I'm controlling it with an inverter...

I also added 2 MPG handwheels (which I connected to a second lpt)

The next thing i would like  add is a spindle controll switch... the meaning for the 2 MPG handwheels is that I also can turn manually..
I'd like to enter a spindle speed and use a 3-position switch for controlling the spindle on.. Fwd or revers.. or in the middle off.

The problem is that I cant find the oem-codes for those functions...  How i like it to work is  to turn the switch in  a position.. and the spindle turns fwd.. turn it t the middle and the spindle stops.... turn it one klick further and the spindle turns rev.

I found  an oem code to toggle the spindle rev but is there any possibuility to controll it  like I described?

Many thanks for any reply's ;D

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: toggle spindle CW/CCW
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:16:29 PM »
You can control it that way external of Mach, depends on how your VFD needs its inputs but usually they just have a terminal that connects to another for forward or another for reverse.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:24:13 PM »
yes I know..

But the thing is that I've connected the inverter through a 0-10V controll system in mach and I'm using  2 relais to switch it fwd  or rev in mach.... That thing works...

But when using manual I like to enter a spindle speed in mach and flip a switch to turn it one way and turn manually...

I just dont see how I can controll it another way that through mach. because i need  a 0-10V signal to controll the speed...

So i just want to add a switch  to make the combo controll

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 03:29:10 PM »
I dont really follow as if you are setting the speed via Mach then why not just call M3, M4 or M5 at the same time? M3S1000 on the MDI line will spin your spindle at 1000rpm and in a clockwise direction.
 If you do want external control as well it should be possible just to connect a switch in parallel to the relays, but as I dont know your setup I cant say for sure.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
whell..  sometimes when turning manually.. you want to quickly measure something or  have a quick look at the result...

I just want a switch to turn  the spindle on and off.

Just putting a switch parrallel to the relais does not work... mach  has to  set a speed for the inverter which  results in a 0-10V signal to the inverter..

When I  only  over rule the relais... mach does not  send out a 0-10V signal...

So I like the function what is  under the "S"button... the spindle starts when S is pushed... Only i like it different...

I would like to have 2 oem codes to toggle the FWD  and REV command.. If i put a constant High signal on one of the inputs the spidle runs...

Only thats something that I could not find...

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »
Ok so if you had a button that did M3 and another that did M5, that is what you want?
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:15:58 PM »
whell yes ;D

If there whas an OEM code for m3 (clockwise) which i can toggle and one for M4 (counter clockwise) then I would be happy..

That way i canuse some push buttons on the controll panel near my MPG handwheels...
Even beter would be if  i can use  a 3-way switch ... whitch means i put in a constant input signal when turning... if i put the switch in the middle the signal goes off... and the spindle stops... turning the switch the other way  wuld make the spindle go the other side... Thats how i would like it to work... but aso can do with  just push buttons.

Thanks for your effort hood!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:26:02 PM »
Ok well there could be a way to do this, you could write a  macropump to monitor two OEM Triggers and then have them do the M3 and M5 macros.
 Another way is with the Mach Mad Plugin that Scott S has made, it allows you to monitor user LEDs and it will call a macro of your choosing, the plugin does a lot more than just that but I think the price Scott is asking it is well worth it for that feature only.
See here for info on the plugin
http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,10399.0.html

Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 03:29:50 PM »
thanks hood.. I will try..