Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:13:03 AM

Author Topic: Need advice on which breakout board is needed?  (Read 20501 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on which breakout board is needed?
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2009, 04:28:59 PM »
Just talked to Greg and he reckons a week and he should have some SS to ship out.
Hood
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 06:22:16 PM »
Excellent news, I hope to get alot done in the next few weeks...
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »
Just got my paypal money request from Greg for the smooth stepper board.  He must be close to shipping them out like you said.

Can't wait  :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2009, 03:31:04 PM »
:)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
i'm using the smoothstepper with viper servo drives.the vipers already have optoisolation..i have drives are connected with no bob.have 500cpr usdigital e6d encoders to  5 tpi ballscrew. separate soundlogic board for inputs and relay outputs.large sajo vertical mill 7" gettys
fanuc motors directly coupled to the axis screws. i have never encountered cogging.it can take  heavy feeds with 6 inch facemill .the vipers are a little difficult to tune. the latest version of firmware protects the drives from blowing. one thing about the vipers is that you can set encoder count following error and output to mach estop.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2009, 02:24:58 AM »
i'm using the smoothstepper with viper servo drives.the vipers already have optoisolation..i have drives are connected with no bob.have 500cpr usdigital e6d encoders to  5 tpi ballscrew. separate soundlogic board for inputs and relay outputs.large sajo vertical mill 7" gettys
fanuc motors directly coupled to the axis screws. i have never encountered cogging.it can take  heavy feeds with 6 inch facemill .the vipers are a little difficult to tune. the latest version of firmware protects the drives from blowing. one thing about the vipers is that you can set encoder count following error and output to mach estop.

Are you using the multiplier (electronic gearing)?
Hood
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2009, 05:22:33 AM »
hood, when i had parallel port only ,  had the electronic gearing set to 2:1 as the computer was a little slow. went to the smoothstepper. now have set to 1:1.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2009, 06:09:23 AM »
I had the gearing 2:1 with my lathe when on the PP and cogging was not really noticeable unless I feed at 1mm/min and had a dial gauge on the sadlle, I could just see the needle twitching as it moved where at 1:1 it was very smooth. Where I really noticed it was when I tried at 10:1, you didnt even need a dial on it to see the jerky movement at very slow revs. I settled for 2:1 while on the parallel port and that restriced my rapids to 3500mm/min but at least it was useable, when the SS got threading I put that on the lathe, set the gearing 1:1 and could easily do 20m/min   but settled for 10m/min as its quite frightening seeing a 400KG saddle hurtling towards  the chuck at 20m/min ;D

Hood
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2009, 02:07:05 PM »
Well I received my smooth Stepper board and my three Gecko drives (320's).  I've gutted my old controls off the machine and rewound the existing transformer to give me 77 VDC to power the Gecko's.  Just ordered a Sound Logic encoder interface board from Rogersmachine.net to work along with my smooth stepper.  I believe these two should handle everything I need right now.

;)