Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:04:05 AM

Author Topic: Looking for an alternate (small) video window  (Read 9143 times)

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
Looking for an alternate (small) video window
« on: February 16, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »
Going back a year or more Mach had a smaller simpler video window.

I have asked if this was still available but sadly it is not.

I find the newer video window takes up more screen space and has lots of features which I do not need.

On a small screen, when using wizards etc with the video, smaller would be much easier.

There are third party video windows with more features but I am after one with less.  Or at least can be resized.

All I really want is a small video window with cross hairs.  Nothing more. :)

Anybody know of one or have any bright ideas of what I could adapt ?

Greg

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for an alternate (small) video window
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2009, 10:28:41 PM »
Some where somebody was provideing software which had the cross hairs  but it was no smaller if memory serves
me and you had to pay for it. I know what you mean though about the size. My camera is 8 to 10 x and only use about 1/4 of the window. That's not to say that someone else would probably want the whole window.
How about using another cheapo computer just for viewing?
RICH

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 12:12:54 AM »

Some where somebody was provideing software which had the cross hairs  but it was
no smaller if memory serves me and you had to pay for it.

It is called CentreCam if we are on the same page,

http://www.miketreth.mistral.co.uk/centrecam.htm

And there are others, but they are all more feature rich and large window.

Less rather than more is my aim.  :)

Thanks,  Greg

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 07:12:51 AM »
GREG,
That was the one. The ideal would be the abiliity to make your settings, pick size of screen you want without the gingerbread.  Screen size would be about the cross hairs. Another problem is not all cameras work.
Who's the garu for Mach's video plug in?
RICH

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 03:38:59 PM »
I have just mounted a cam on an arbor and tried the video window. Its neat, but I have some mechanical concerns about the stability of a plastic camera mount. The mach video probe seems to require that you  do some mechanical calibration to center the image. I dont see how a plastic mount will be reliable

I looked at the CentreCam web site and see he made a nice metal mount, but I see no provision for alignment, so it must be in the software. I got the software to work, but cannot seem to figure out how to use it or to align it. There doesnt seem to be a help file or any form of documentation, even though there is a help button on a screen- it does nothing. The web site has no listing for a contact.

Has anyone got Centrecam working? Is there any way to get in touch with the developer?

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:15:14 AM »
Ron,
The calibration is only as good as your cameras optics. I'm only interested in where the crosshairs are relative to the object. but then everybody will use the video window differently.
RICH

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 01:17:35 AM »
This is what I use.  Looks a bit agricultural, but in use it is really pretty good.

Diecast body,  centrally mounted with grub screws to do the fine alignment.

In practice I have found that once adjusted it holds calibration well.  I don't drop it on the floor.   ;)

It's focus is set with the lens 4mm from the work piece.

I use this practically every time I fire up the X3.  Best accessory I have made for it. Simple, quick and surprisingly accurate.

Greg
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:23:43 AM by Greolt »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2009, 06:01:32 AM »
To go back to the original query - does your graphics card have dual output. Mine has, and so I could run another (small) display from the computer, on which I could program the video window. This wouldn't interfere with the Mach window.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »
The current video window being larger is a nuisance and I would like a smaller one,

however the nuisance value does not warrant setting up dual monitors on my machine.

Greg

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2009, 06:55:47 AM »
A second monitor is one option. Somethng that comes into play here is the need for a fast computer also.
The old dog may work fine  but for real time video update, as you move around, a slow computer no longer cuts
it.
A thought that i had was to use a video camera independent of the computer such as the cameras being sold along with a screen that you use for your car. They can be found for around $100, and have been meaning to get one
for the Honda Accord since you can't see the back end with the new vehicles. Of course it would be tried out
on the mill first.

Greg,
I didn't get a chance to do the appendix  on cameras yet, but, you can add a lens in your tube and increase the magnification ( it also inverts the image). Of course there are limitations since magnification is camera dependent and you wiill start to pixelate in the viideo screen. To do it you also need to have an adjustable lens on the camera. Idealy a lens placed like the jewelers ones that attach to glasses may be neat since you could get a wide field of view along with a magnifiied center around the crosshair. Another one is making an optical micrometer out at the end. Basicaly you rotate a piece of glass, it refracts the light path, and can be calibrated such that you measure with it. That's how my optical allingement stuff works. Would be a nice project to do.
RICH
PS: Haven't tried an optical wedge as that would allow refined camera ajustment. But still agree wiith you on the window / maybe
need two one for settings and another small one. If we can't get that, then the plug in screen needs to allow for the video window.
See my comment's in the CopyCat thread.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 07:02:14 AM by RICH »