Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 06:16:53 PM

Author Topic: Probe for part touch off  (Read 12269 times)

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
Probe for part touch off
« on: July 22, 2006, 11:42:02 AM »
HI all does anyone know of any probes  that are in the $1000 dollar range?

The one I found for hobby says it is accurate to + or - a couple of thou and i was hoping for one that is a little higher resolution.

Some of the super dooper ones are good to 1um , i am sure are a fortune and WAY beyond my machine and my wallet. 
Anyone know of anything in-between?

And brian I would need some help with a part touch off macro until art gets his plug in working.

Thanks

Chad

Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
Re: Probe for part touch off
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 08:31:40 PM »
Those look good. I have one question. Are those just continuity probes? In other words do they just complete a circuit when is is touched? I want on e that is a switch that closes so i can use it on non conductive parts and use for 3d digitizing down the road.

Chad

Offline DAlgie

•  314 314
    • View Profile
    • Algie Composite Aircraft
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2006, 01:41:56 AM »
Have a look at this one... http://www.imsrv.com/deskcnc/probe.htm
Dave.

Hood

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 04:04:45 AM »
I have made my own probe, it is accurate to about 0.05mm but my next version should be more easily adjustable and should be able to get it closer than that. See pic of probe below. I have it with a LED so that I can use it as an edgefinder but also have a jack plug and I will be able to connect it to the computer and work it through Mach but have not tested it that way yet. It is extremely accurate in its repeatability, less than 0.005mm.
Hood
« Last Edit: July 23, 2006, 04:06:24 AM by Hood »

Offline chad

•  361 361
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 12:47:20 AM »
HI all, After much research and lots of phone Calls I have decided on a probe. Heidenhain kt- 130. It is $740 and repeatable to 1um. You can order a ruby tip for it and a different stylus. I looked at the really nice cnc versions and they all start at about $3000.  I think this guy will do everything i need it to do.

Brian, Those that you linked me to are continuity types ( i am pretty sure) I wanted to be able to use it as a digitizer also. And i make a pretty good amount of plastic stuff to so they wouldn't work to well for me.

DAlgie, I looked at those too i wanted something a little heaver duty and a little more accurate. Although i am sure it would have worked just fine.

Hood, Wow! That looks great. 5 um, that is awesome for home-brew.  you should start selling them, i would have bought one ;)

any way here is a pic of the thing.

Chad

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2009, 09:39:07 AM »
         Hood,
             I realize that your post is a few years old, but I'm interested in your homemade probe. You can email me at dcdziner @ pacbell.net.

Marv Frankel
Los Angeles

Offline Bloy

•  158 158
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2009, 08:42:45 PM »
Or, Hood, maybe you could repost the picture of your probe here?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 04:04:21 PM »
Sorry been away for a few days and have just seen this, heres a few pics of the probe, never did get round to making the better adjusting one as this is more than good enough for a Bridgeport ;D I have never used it as a probe, just an edge/center finder.
Hood