Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 11:22:19 AM

Author Topic: New version of CopyCat, V1.1  (Read 34376 times)

New version of CopyCat, V1.1
« on: February 10, 2009, 09:03:22 PM »
I have completed a new version of the CopyCat wiard. There are several interesting changes.

1) Z movements have been changed. It occurred to me you would not want to make actual Z Movements while you were probing a part, but you obviously need to make Z moves in the code. So I have added a Zup and Zdown button. There is a DRO for a safeZ and for a Z depth. Pressing these buttons will enter the Gcode, Zup will do a G00 to Z 'safeZ' while Z down will first do G00 to 10% of the Zsafe value, then do a G01 to the Zdown value.

2) I added a Cancel button to the arc commands. I think I have fixed the issues about getting into arc mode and not being able to get out.

3) I have added a second screen with Probe functions. This will use a touch probe and find an edge in either of the 4 directions, or it will find a circle center. If you wanted to find a corner you could first find one edge, which will save the last probed value, then find the second edge.. Finally, RAISE THE PROBE above the work and click the GoTo Probed value button. You could then return to the main screen and use that location for one of the movement commands.

I also added the code from German Bravos Circle Center wizard. If you dont have a touch probe you can still find the center of a circle by this method. Note you can combine the center finding, using the 3 point calculations, but finding the location by an X or Y probe move.

I improved the Help file, but its still a long way form the Manual Rich wrote. Sorry Rich, I made all these changes just after you wrote your manual!

The code is below, just unzip the file into the Mach3\Addons folder.

Any feedback is welcome, hope you like the changes

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: New version of CopyCat, V1.1
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 09:48:25 PM »
Ron,
Happy about the changes and will test it out. Got the video camera tweaked, Xbox for moving around, but stiill need
a wide screen and confortable chair when using Copycat.
Don't worry about the manual as  i stopped in anticipation of changes. I'll update it to include the latest info when i get time.

RICH

Offline Greolt

•  956 956
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 11:11:04 PM »
How's that for listening to the feedback!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't believe it.  Ask if a centre finding wizard can be incorporated and three days later there it is. ;D

I just had to tweek the screen set a bit.

Need to keep things off the bottom of a 1024 x 768 layout to leave room for those who maintain the windows task bar.

Great stuff Ron.  I can see me getting some use out of this one.

Greg

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
An updated CopyCat Manual was posted in the members docs. It reflects the latest CopyCat version.
Any comments, feel free to post.
Appendix work still required, like making a probe and configuiring it in MACK, vidoe camera modifications,
and a quiick and dirty tutorial.

I tried out the three point centering using a video camera and must admit it works great.

Very good additions Ron.

Will see how long it takes to capture a profile for lathe turning, manipulate CopyCat's generated code and see how it turns out. Just a little off the wall use of a new toy!

RICH

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2009, 10:53:30 PM »
REV C of the CopyCat manual was posted in members docs.
A new section ( 5.7.5 FULL CIRCLE / page 8 ) was added which explains how a Full Circle can be done.

Post any comments and suggestions you may have.

RICH

vmax549

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 11:12:59 PM »
HEY RON how about a utlity that can take a collection of points and convert them to lines and arcs.

Just  a thought, (;-) TP

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 11:45:38 PM »
Here is a probe i made for trying Copycats hole centering addition. Using the video camera works very well, but
i wanted to try the other way. The probe was made such that you can make probe tips of a shape that suites you,
thus the tip is  removable. Runout when placed into a Albrecht chuck is 0.001". The how to make and use will be an appendix in the CopyCat manual.
RICH 

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 12:01:38 AM »
Here is a pic of my tweaked video camera. Magnification is about 10x. The quarter gives you an idea of size.
The how to modify will be an appendix in the CopyCat manual.
RICH

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 09:15:10 AM »
What camera is that from Rich?

Thanks,
Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 10:19:54 AM »
DAVE,
Bought it at Radio Shack "Gigaware" $19.
RICH