Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 03:45:41 PM

Author Topic: Motor Tuning not Updating  (Read 6783 times)

Motor Tuning not Updating
« on: February 10, 2009, 06:53:15 AM »
I am running Mach3 R3.042.020 and the SmoothStepper though cnc4pcs C23 breakout board, driving Larkens Viper100 servo drives.
In the motor tuning page changes do not take effect until I save them AND close out the window. 
Strange....  any thoughts?

Also my settings for X and Y are the same but the Y won't produce a pulse train.  When I jog the Y it starts/jumps about .25" then stops, with no faluts,  then when I release the jog it jumps again. 
I'm stumped here too?

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motor Tuning not Updating
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 07:17:58 AM »
What plugin and Mach versions are you using?
Hood
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 07:31:46 AM »
SmoothStepper_Beta2_v015ogb.m3p 

Mach3 R3.042.020

forgot to mention  the Y will jog at slow speeds  50ipms (not that slow, but my X and Z go 250ipm)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 08:11:47 AM »
I knew that the plugin had been changed from earlier versions so that you could use the arrow key to jog when in motor tuning and just presumed this would take consideration of changes in settings. However I have just tried it and it seems to be that you have to come out of motor tuning before you can try the new settings, that sort of defeats the functionality of being able to jog when in tuning, I will see what Greg says about it.
 As for your Y not being correct, it could be many things, have you had it running on the parallel port? If not then you may have to swap around axis to see if you can shift the problem over as it could be anything from SS to motor tuning to motor to breakout etc. If you have a scope it would be fairly easy to see where the problem lies.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2009, 08:31:00 AM »
I can run the Y axis fine with the X pulses and the X jumps like the Y with the Y pulses. So the motor tuning is fine and the driver is fine.  I guess it is the SS?
Is this correct?   Any suggestions?
Thanks Hood

Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2009, 08:41:22 AM »
what did you change around and where? For instance if you changed the X step/dir wires from the Bobs output to put them in the Y then it could be the Bob or SS.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2009, 09:24:10 AM »
I switched them at the drivers.  So it could be either,  so I put the Y outputs to different pins and all is fine now.  Thanks for helping me think this through.

Tom

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2009, 10:55:55 AM »
Glad you are sorted :)

There have been reports of optos on some of the CNC4PC BOBs giving problems, whethers yours is one of the opto isolated ones or not I dont know but may be worth checking it out and getting a spare opto.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2009, 12:46:49 PM »
I can run the Y axis fine with the X pulses and the X jumps like the Y with the Y pulses. So the motor tuning is fine and the driver is fine.  I guess it is the SS?
Is this correct?   Any suggestions?
Thanks Hood

Tom

Tom,

I'd try re-assigning the Y signals to different pins on the BOB, preferably on the other port.  Could be the BOB has problems on some outputs.  I think that's much more likely than a SS problem - Some of the CNC4PC BOBs don't like the SS.  I have no experience with the C23, but I've had several different CNC4PC BOBs now, and all had speed problems, especially when used with the SS.  I'm currently using a C11 that I've had to modify to make it to work above 40kHz with the SS.  You've already ruled out the motor and driver as the problems.  With SS, it can't be a PC or USB problem if the other axes are working properly, so you're down to either a fault in the SS itself (which seems to me highly unlikely, since virtually all of the logic is within an FPGA), or the BOB.  Could be just a failed chip in the BOB as well, and moving the Y axis to another output could prove that.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2009, 01:39:01 PM »
Ray,
 Think Toms sorted by doing just that, see post 6, it says
so I put the Y outputs to different pins and all is fine now.
Like you I suspect its the BOB that the problem lies with.
Hood