Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 07:09:37 AM

Author Topic: Spindle turns with any Z move?  (Read 4714 times)

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
Spindle turns with any Z move?
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:08:18 PM »
Hey Guys.
Here is an odd one. On my lathe, I am still using Mach mill. I'll do it like this until I get better with Dolpin turn. I am coding my production parts by hand. No issues with that.
I have the spindle setup with a Homann DC06. Just like on my mill. I have the same motor driver as well. Just a different treadmill motor.

I only have Z and X steppers active. I think X is pins 7 and 6 and Z is 5 and 4 or something.
My spindle is one direction and runs on pin 16.
I have a C10 BOB from CNC4PC.
I don't have a switch yet to the spindle motor itself, but I will install one for safeties sake. Especially now.
Here is the problem.When I jog with the Z keys on the keyboard, my spindle cranks up.
It does this too if I hit Go To Zero and have the Z travel very far.
Any ideas what is causing this?

Thanks.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Spindle turns with any Z move?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 02:05:19 PM »
please attach your xml, it may be a setting.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 03:55:10 PM »
Okay.
Here is the link to the xml.

http://leestyron.com/cnc/CUTTY%20SHARK%20OLD.xml

Thanks.
Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 05:14:31 PM »
I see you dont have any outputs enabled but you do have them set on the spindle page.
How exactly have you got the motor wired?
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 05:51:16 PM »
Here is the motor wiring.
I turned the outputs off because I thought they might be inferring. I did have one on initially and it was set to pin 16.
The motor still runs fine under Mach control and at the proper speeds.
It's just not supposed to do that when jogging. ;)

I am running 2 gecko 201's and 270 oz steppers.

I have all that wired correctly to the previously mentioned pins on the C10 BOB.

Then pin 16 and a ground from the BOB as well as a 5 volt from the BOB run to the DC-06 digi speed control.

I use the little transformer on this little board. It's a plug in type and createss the control voltage for the motor.
I have that voltage set to about 1.8 VDC. The two top wires on that board goes to my motor controller. This is normally where a manual pot would connect.

The motor has two wires. pos. and neg.

This is exactly how I have it on the mill with the exception that it is 220 VAC and I have a third axis motor.
Other than that, identical.

This one is Mach 3 version R3.042.020

Oh yeah. Estop is on pin 10

Lee

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
So from your setup basically all you are doing is supplying a pulse from pin 16 and that gets converted to a 0 to 10v in the digispeed? Sorry never used one :(
 If that is the case then sounds like your Z axis is inducing noise in the spindle wire which in turn is making the digispeed send out a voltage. Maybe try some  shielded wire from the Bob to the digispeed.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 06:45:09 PM »
Right. Pin 16 sends voltage to kick on the relay and then the onboard transformer regulates the control voltage for the DC motor controller itself.
It really quite simple once you get around it. ;)
It occured to me when I was typing that pout that since the control voltage is so low, noise might be the issue. That could very well be the case. I will change the wiring when I can.
I will put a real switch on it too, so that I can manually disable it. I never found a need to do that on the mill, but I did do the coolant that way. Sometimes you just may not need coolant. I know I can turn t off onscreen too, but extra switches make for safer maint.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 06:48:07 PM by Leeway »
Lee