Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 01:01:05 PM

Author Topic: DigiSpeed-SD and CW CCW control  (Read 14373 times)

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
DigiSpeed-SD and CW CCW control
« on: January 31, 2009, 12:04:49 AM »
I am installing a Homann DigiSpeed-SD speed control for my lathe VFD.  I have the speed part running great.  I have not been able to get the CW and CCW relays working right though.  I am a little stumped.  In the Mach motor outputs screen, you can set the step and direction pins.  But in the Spindle set up screen, you can set the CW and CCW outputs through outputs 1-6.  Why would you set the direction pin in the motor outputs screen if you are setting the CW and CCW outputs in the Spindle set up screen?  I am using pin 14 for the step pulse.  I need to use pins 8 and 9 for direction.  Can someone give me a clue as to how to set up Mach for the CW and CCW directions?

Thanks

Vince
Re: DigiSpeed-SD and CW CCW control
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 01:31:35 AM »
Hi Vince,

The CW and CCW outputs on the spindle tab are enable signals for the spindle when it turns on. On some VFDs you have a separate input to enable  the spindle for CW direction and another for CCW direction. You cannot use the spindle  dir line to do this.

What I usually do in your case is use the spindle dir line to control one relay on the DC-06 for spindle direction control.

The other relay on the DC-06 is controlled by the CW and CCW outputs on the spindle tab. Set the output number for the CQW and CCW control to the same output number. Then use pin for this output to control the 2nd relay on the DC-06. This 2nd relay now becomes an enable relay for the spindle  as it turns on when a spindle command CW or CCW is issued.

I hope this is clear.

Cheers,

Peter.
----------------------------------------------------
Homann Designs
http://www.homanndesigns.com
email: peter at homanndesigns.com

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 05:18:40 AM »
Vince -

As Peter said - that depends on your own particular motor control system. The Digispeed provide a voltage signal (usually 0 - 10v) to control the speed, as you seem to have sorted out.

The direction depends on what your own VFD demands.

Mine is an Omron and (as well as the voltage input for the speed) it reqiures two sets of wires connecting to give CW or CCW rotation. You can connect none, or either pair, but not both. Both is an error and will stop the Omron.

The standard instruction for CW rotation in GCode is M3, for CCW is M4 and off is M5. The M3 and M4 signal, as you say uses two output pins from Mach. I have used pins 8 and 9 to drive two 5v relays. (I actually made up a board with four relays, all driven by a Darlington array, so I could do the coolant as well) Darlington arrays are cheap (less than £1 for an eight unit array) and they run directly from your computer output. They are rated at 1/2 amp for each output, so plenty of meat there.

The advantage of using relays is that it means that your VFD is completely electrically isolated from you computer and other electronics, and as Peter says in his blurb with the Digispeed, sometimes the voltages are not to be trusted.

On the Mach screens, you need to untick the "disable spindle relays box" on the Config/Ports and Pins/Spindle Output page and assign M3 and M4 to outputs (usually 1 and 2.) On the Config/Ports and Pins/Outputs page, you then need to assign Outpus 1 and 2 to pin numbers, and enable them. Peter seems to have coped with this in the Digispeed, so you will have to read the blurb to see if they are active low or not.

I personally have used the PWM output from the Mach to control the Digispeed. My Digispeed could be altered to suit either. This comes out of Mach 3 on a pin specified on the "Step" output of the spindle motor drive. (The Dir" pin is ignored).

So - in a word, there is no simple way - it depends on what your VFD requires. Have a look at that first, and work your way back from there.

Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 11:03:57 AM »
My VFD is a GE AF-300.  As far as I can tell from the documents, it does not have a separate enable input.  There is a COM, FWD and REV input terminals as well as two terminals for the 0 to 10V input for speed.  If nothing is connected between COM and either FWD or REV it will not run. 

Peter, what you wrote is not clear at all.  I don't understand how the CW and CCW settings on the spindle tab can control the same output.  If I am using pin 8 and 9 for my direction (I am using pin 14 for the step), then I would set up the motor output for 14 and 8 (step and dir), then set pin 9 as output 1 in the ports and pins/output tab, and in the spindle setup and have both the CW and CCW settings control output 1?

Thanks

Vince
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 11:14:52 AM »
My VFD is a GE AF-300.  As far as I can tell from the documents, it does not have a separate enable input.  There is a COM, FWD and REV input terminals as well as two terminals for the 0 to 10V input for speed.  If nothing is connected between COM and either FWD or REV it will not run. 

Peter, what you wrote is not clear at all.  I don't understand how the CW and CCW settings on the spindle tab can control the same output.  If I am using pin 8 and 9 for my direction (I am using pin 14 for the step), then I would set up the motor output for 14 and 8 (step and dir), then set pin 9 as output 1 in the ports and pins/output tab, and in the spindle setup and have both the CW and CCW settings control output 1?

Thanks

Vince

You need to setup one relay to connect COM to FWD, to be activated on M3/Spindle CW.  The other relay needs to be setup to connect COM to REV, to be activated on M4/Spindle CCW.  To do this, define two pins, each connected to one of the OUTPUT #n outputs, then go to Config->Portat & Pins->Spindle Setup, and put those two OUTPUT #n numbers in the two boxes under Relay Control.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2009, 11:17:11 AM »
Peter, I wired it as you suggested.  When I enter an M3, both relays energize, M4 turns off relay 1, and M5 turns them both off.  I think I can get it to work as long as I don't enter and M4 after an M3, I would have to enter an M5 first.  I will give it a try and let you know.

Vince

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2009, 12:35:49 PM »
OK, I got it working properly.  In motor outputs under ports and pins I set up the spindle motor as step pin 14, direction pin 0.  Under output signals I entered output 1 as pin 8 and output 2 as pin 9.  In the spindle setup tab I entered CW as output 1 and CCW as output 2.  I wired pin 8 to relay 1 and pin 9 to relay 2 on the DigiSpeed board.  Now an M3 command will turn the spindle CW and an M4 with turn it CCW, M5 will stop the spindle.  I can enter an M4 command while the spindle is turning CW and it will stop and reverse direction without a hiccup.  Same with an M3 while M4 is running. 

An interesting item: When I first power up my lathe, both relays on the DigiSpeed board energize.  That means that my VFD is getting both a FWD and REV signal.  When the computer comes up and Mach is running, the PMDX-122 board enable the output signals and both relays on the DigiSpeed de-energize.  The VFD does not seem to mind the mixed direction signals as long as no speed is commanded at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Vince
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 03:09:17 PM »
OK, I got it working properly.  In motor outputs under ports and pins I set up the spindle motor as step pin 14, direction pin 0.  Under output signals I entered output 1 as pin 8 and output 2 as pin 9.  In the spindle setup tab I entered CW as output 1 and CCW as output 2.  I wired pin 8 to relay 1 and pin 9 to relay 2 on the DigiSpeed board.  Now an M3 command will turn the spindle CW and an M4 with turn it CCW, M5 will stop the spindle.  I can enter an M4 command while the spindle is turning CW and it will stop and reverse direction without a hiccup.  Same with an M3 while M4 is running. 

An interesting item: When I first power up my lathe, both relays on the DigiSpeed board energize.  That means that my VFD is getting both a FWD and REV signal.  When the computer comes up and Mach is running, the PMDX-122 board enable the output signals and both relays on the DigiSpeed de-energize.  The VFD does not seem to mind the mixed direction signals as long as no speed is commanded at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Vince

You really should fix that power-up problem.  Someday, if one of those relays fails, your lathe will power-up with the spindle running, which could be dangerous.  Using the Mach charge pump should solve that problem.

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 03:26:37 PM »
Yes think if I remember pin 17 is dedicated to the Chargepump on the PMDX122.
Hood

Offline N4NV

•  398 398
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2009, 04:31:45 PM »

You really should fix that power-up problem.  Someday, if one of those relays fails, your lathe will power-up with the spindle running, which could be dangerous.  Using the Mach charge pump should solve that problem.

Regards,
Ray L.

I have an EPO circuit that prevents anything from running regardless of what the computer, BOB, DigiSpeed etc wants to do.  I shut down and start up with the EPO tripped.

Vince