Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:03:10 PM

Author Topic: run fron here  (Read 2772 times)

Offline enrique

•  4 4
  • Chips again
    • View Profile
run fron here
« on: January 26, 2009, 07:43:19 AM »
hello folks
well i have been using mach3 for a couple of years with a taig micro mill without software limits and machine coords set in a very basic fashion ...but have had plenty of good runs with no real problems....yet ..however i found out that i needed to set my backlash compensation as my rotary stuff was getting thinner on the x (and probably the flats too but) i hadnt really noticed until today when cutting a ring design ..what i want to know is can i use the go to or similar command to move to a particular point in my job  and run from it ...i think i have used "run from here" before but cant remember how i used it ...im going to try anyway ..but do i need software and machine limmits set to do this ?   
Designer from the Jewellery workshop Southport Using artcam, and mach three, taig mill and fingers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: run fron here
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:31:56 AM »
If you have the work positioned properly on the table so that it coincides with the programmes coordinates then the Run from Here would be the way to do it. Just scroll through the code to where you want to start then press run from here, it will pop up a prep move box and if the coords look OK then press Start, it will move then press start again once its reached the prep move position and off you go
Hood

Offline enrique

•  4 4
  • Chips again
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:08 PM »
thanks hood i thought as much ,,and i just went for it and everything went OK  i set my backlash comp which seems to have done the trick but i have noticed discrepancies in my models
im using artcam for ring design but it seems to have issues when it comes to correctly displaying the correct vector-to - hight ratio and so my models have a rotary distortion anyway i have raised the issue with delcam but it seems to be one of the software limitations as artcam is hightfield technology and not 3d so its converted from flat to round ...sigh.....so i have to compensate for distortion within the modeling process!
it seems 'im getting away from having to set limits but i suppose if you don't exceed them anyway you don't need them? are there any other benefits to setting limits on a four axis setup without auto-tool changing i suppose not as all my jobs are all within an inch cube..  there is a lot i would like to know about mach 3 but in my current work flow which is CUT CUT CUT i don't much chance to explore.. are there any meets in the uk ? i suppose ill just have to keep reading the forum something i seem to neglect to do ..anyhow thanks for the reply
Designer from the Jewellery workshop Southport Using artcam, and mach three, taig mill and fingers

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:12:28 PM »
Limits are a good thing to have just for a safety point of view, probably with a taig the motors will stall long before anything could be damaged so maybe thats not relevant. Having a home switch however is a good thing, it allows you to home Mach on each restart and means you can accurately go to the same work offset day to day, the accuracy of course would depend on the switches.
 As far as the UK meets, not so far, Graham was trying to organise one last year but I think the expense and health and safety put paid to that. The model exhibition had Brian there last year but not sure if he will be over next one or not.
Hood