Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 11:09:27 PM

Author Topic: My Balding Beaver  (Read 71020 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: My Balding Beaver
« Reply #60 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:12 PM »
Lookin real good Hood , and know what you mean about the wife. Britts always after me to clean her cage , and hang some bananas. 

Ed

Now that is funny ;D

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 21, 2009, 09:32:47 PM »
LOL Ed, just wait till I tell Britt.  And you will clean her cage or she will clean your clock.

Right turn Clide.  :D

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #62 on: December 21, 2009, 10:34:30 PM »
Well , as long as your all here ,  want to say Merry Christmas to the best guys on the planet , from Britt ,Dracula , and me.
Hope its a great one.  ;)

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 22, 2009, 02:27:57 AM »
Have a good one Ed and all, would imagine Dracula would celebrate Yule rather than Christmas being he must be European ;)

Hood

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 22, 2009, 09:53:05 PM »
AH.........., may Swarta Pete bestow all the Black Peter's  you would ever want onto your doorstep.
Sorry my Dutch is stuck in the snow!
RICH

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 22, 2009, 10:48:20 PM »
Thanks Ed, Merry Christmas to you and yours too.

Brett

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Well had a few disappointments with the Beaver, first was the X and Y backlash, it was worse than I first thought but I have sourced some new ground ballscrews of similar dimensions (X 1600mm  x 32mm dia x 10mm pitch, Y 900mm x 32mm x 10mm pitch) Not got them yet but hopefully they will be here this week and I will get them machined at the weekend.
 Next thing I found was that the Y axis had a huge amount of slop, I tried to adjust the gib but it was fully in and there was still loads of slack, I removed it and found it was in the wrong way and had extra peces screwed on either end. It was the extra pieces that was stopping the adjustment as the gib goes right through and there is a screw front and back that holds it in the right position. Ok so I fitted it the correct way and without the extra bits and got it adjusted as per manual but as I wound to either extent the servos tripped after a few seconds so had to slacken off again.
 The beaver has the Y ballscrew along the right side of the knee and the procedure for adjusting the gib is put two  clocks (DTI) on the knee and plungers against the saddle, one at left and other right side, you then wind three full revs of the clock and zero then wind one back and the difference between the clocks gives you the amount of twist due to slack gib. The manual says adjust until 0.025mm (0.001") and the best I could get so that the drive wouldnt trip was 0.09 and even then it would trip after ten mins sitting at the Y minus extreme.
 This weekend I got a loan of a Biax and had a go at scraping the unworn parts and although I have never done scraping before it wasnt too hard. I think the hard part of scraping would be to scrape an axis true to another but as I only had approx 100mm either end to do it wasnt that hard.
 So now I have it scraped its seems good, have it adjusted to 0.018mm or so twist at the slackest part and less than half that over the majority of the rest of the travel, motor current when monitoring from the serial connection to my drives shows only a slight increase in current at either extremes and it is approx 8 amps which is around half of the continuous rated current so should be fine.
 I also monitored the current whilst doing some milling today and it never went much higher than the 8 amps so I am happy :) just hope the ballscrews turn up soon.
Hood

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2010, 08:03:56 PM »
That's good news Hood.  I knew you could massage the slop out of that Beaver. I'd imagine your happier than a pig in mud now that your beaver is all tightened up. With a couple of new screws it will be good as new.  :)

Brett

« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2010, 09:31:09 PM »
Hood, 

If anyone can get it repaired correctly, its you....  No worries

JH

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »
lol @ Brett
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."