Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 12:30:11 PM

Author Topic: My Balding Beaver  (Read 70977 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: My Balding Beaver
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2009, 11:03:36 AM »
The motor is 3800 rpm but because it is 2.5 times the KW of the original motor I have geared it up with 72 and 44 pulleys so 6000+ rpm is available. I also still have the 10:1 gearbox in the head so if real heavy work is needed there is plenty of torque available.
I will probably never go so high as 6000rpm though as the majority of the work I do is steel or stainless so I might put it back in the gearing so its just better than 4000rpm like the original.

Hood

Offline Dan13

•  1,208 1,208
    • View Profile
    • DY Engineering
« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2009, 01:05:08 AM »
Can't see a work that could possibly be considered "heavy" for that motor ;)

Is it noisy at its top speed of 6000rpm? What tooth profile pulleys did you use?

Daniel

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2009, 03:42:02 AM »
Not really noisy, have some gear noise but the belt is silent and its a lot quieter than the Bridgeport at all speeds. Its a gates GT3 belt.

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 06:38:20 PM »
Bit more progress :)
 Been using the mill to make up sections out of Alu for the control panel but its been a nightmare as my screen and keyboard were on top of my control box way round the side,  so no way to see for setting up etc. Have the control panel all welded up now and in place, need to get it painted and wired fully, hope to get it wired tomorrow. I need to wire the E-Stop (not in pic ) all of the 12 switches, the two pots, the two rotary switches and the MPG. Once I have that done then I can take it apart again and get it painted.
Hood
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
BEAUTIFUL looking control panel you did there Hood.
How do you find the time? Seems your always on this forum helping everyone else.
Keep up the good work.  ;)

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 07:18:00 PM »
Thanks Ed.
Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 21, 2009, 06:46:12 PM »
Mill is working well, have a bit of backlash which is more than likely due to the fact that I found a stripped gear in the lube pump so it was only getting about a 1/4 the oil it was meant to. I have measured the backlash on X and it is very consistent on the full travel so I am thinking oversized ball bearings will do the trick. Same for the Y axis I suspect, the Z has less than 0.005mm backlash so thats fine.

Have also been making up a new screenset for the mill, I am going to have all controls I use day in day out on the one page. I will also have a diagnostics screen and possibly have a full toolpath screen but I want to keep it as simple as possible. I have the first page done and its working well and I am reasonably happy with it, I may rearrange things a bit as I get using it but as most of the buttons are on my external button panel I probably will leave it be.

Thanks go to Brett for giving me the idea of the LED buttons from seeing his Fanuc screenset.

Hood
« Reply #57 on: December 21, 2009, 07:08:21 PM »
Looking good Hood !
Simple and All on One.....that's what I like.
Might ask you for a copy later.
Anxious to see the other pages when done too.
Thanks,
Russ

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 21, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »
Looking good Hood !
Simple and All on One.....that's what I like.
Might ask you for a copy later.

Thanks and yes no problem getting the screenset but it is heavily customised to my mill and the way I have things set up so likely you would have to do a lot of modifying.
Anxious to see the other pages when done too.
Thanks,
Russ

Dont hold your breath, I have a habit of never completing anything, just ask the wife about the Kitchen or the garage or the.............. well you get the picture ;D

Hood
« Reply #59 on: December 21, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
Lookin real good Hood , and know what you mean about the wife. Britts always after me to clean her cage , and hang some bananas. 

Ed
Ed VanEss