Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 09:23:03 AM

Author Topic: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure  (Read 36685 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 05:41:04 PM »
How so, Sam?
The R-8 tooling is a bit longer than others, and like Dave said, once you slap a vice on it, every inch counts. If you wanted to implement a tool changer, R-8's may present a problem. I've never seen a changer for R-8's. That don't mean they don't exist, I've just never seen one. Most CNC machines use BT or CAT or similar taper. With something like an ER the collet closing ranges are also more variable than R-8. It seems there's always a drill that's to loose or tight for the collet, and if the tool slips during use, both are damaged. You could get R-8/ER tooling, but that eats up even more room. A standard R-8 collet doesn't have the gripping power of a ER collet. If using standard collets, you would also have to set your Z for each tool change. You could use solid holders, but there long, and made for one size of tool shank. So, in my personal opinion, R-8's are less versatile than others. The fact the machine is R-8 would not be a deal breaker for me. Heck, I would love to have it. For the price that Novakon is advertising the stripped version for, it's certainly an eye opener, especially for people that don't have the time, desire, or equipment to make a comparable machine. Dunno how much Smithy wants for it. Would be nice if they did offer another taper.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2009, 06:10:20 PM »
Ah, completely understood on the length issue but there toolchangers out there using the Tormach toolholders and a power drawbar.

Hoss's setup is pretty slick as well, have a look if you haven't seen it already:

http://www.hossmachine.info/forum/yaf_postst4_Hoss-16-Tool-Automatic-Tool-Changer.aspx

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2009, 06:34:05 PM »
Yeah I briefly looked at the system at tormach. To my understanding, the holders rely on fitting into a R-8 collet. You do get the "quick change" ability, but the collet clamping force is just not there. It's not hard at all for tools to climb out of them, especially when they get dull.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2009, 06:50:15 PM »
Interesting, I hadn't heard any complaints about those as of yet.

Thanks, Sam and sorry to derail your thread, Dave -  :(

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2009, 07:39:56 PM »
Dave,

Don't get all upset with these guys cutting down your R-8 TOOLING.
Bridgeports have been using it for years and on a bigger machine than yours.
Use this machine for what it's designed for and you won't have any problems.
A good power drawbar would be a good investment and quicker than an ATC. 

My 2 cents.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2009, 08:08:16 PM »
These "guys"?

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2009, 08:14:41 PM »
Ed,
He, he, No problem. I choose an R-8 machine on purpose as it lets me use all the r-8 tooling I had from the knee mill the 1240 replaced.
I actually started working on a pwr draw bar this weekend. I admit I'd love to have a full tool changer - but the expense and complexity is not justified by what I do as a hobby guy - but then I'd also love to have a Ferrari...  ;)
Dave

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2009, 08:59:46 PM »
Think the mill could handle more hp and RPM ?

Dave

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2009, 10:30:25 PM »
Na, ain't nobody cutting anything down. I use both R-8 and 30 taper on my 9-5 job. I would rather have the 30 if given the option, but then again, I would rather have 1 of Dave's R-8 machines than 5 of my machines if given the option. Now that you've shown us the machine, your obligated to show us the products you've made with it. You do know that, right? It's in the fine print of the registration form.
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2009, 10:40:53 PM »
When you mentioned a servo change over what components where you thinking of using ? I was thinking of the same thing . Novakon is near me with the same mill . I was thinking of buying less the controller also .

Dave