Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:34:24 AM

Author Topic: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure  (Read 36683 times)

Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure
« on: January 21, 2009, 05:02:57 PM »
Hi all,
I thought I'd post a pic of my new mill. It's a Smithy 1240 CNC that I purchased a couple of months ago.
I didn't find a lot of Smithy 1240 owners when I was shopping, so I thought a posted pic might be of interest to others considering the model.
I talked them into selling the machine w/o a control (their standard model uses an EMC based control) and interfaced the mill to the custom control I'd developed for my prior knee mill.
So far I'm pretty happy with the mill (though it has not been issue free - but nothing that I did not expect from Chinese iron).
Most recently, I completed the enclosure seen in the pic.
I'm really liking how the chips and coolant now stay inside the mill  ;D

Dave

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 05:07:24 PM »
That's a pretty spiffy looking machine ya got there. Wish I had one that nice.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:07 PM »
Great looking machine, thanks for sharing -  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 03:30:57 PM »
Looks like a nice wee mill :)
Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 01:09:39 AM »
Dave,

Looks really good, and excellant job on the enclosure.

Thanks

ED
Ed VanEss
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2009, 11:58:01 AM »
I like the enclosure , good job . I was thinking of the same mill but from another comany . What kind of feeds and rapids will it work at ? Did you reuse the 1700oz steppers ? Does it seem decent as far is being solid . What would you change if you had a choice ?

Thanks
Dave

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 12:08:58 PM »
Any closer pics of it?

Dave

Dave->    ;)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 12:37:31 PM »
One potential drawback for some people would be the R-8 spindle taper.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:07:30 PM »
How so, Sam?

Dave

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 02:59:51 PM »
Hi,
Rapids are set to 120ipm. The machine is currently running the steppers, I set the accel and rapid rate to be what smithy uses for their EMC control. I could prob push it faster but I'd rather not worry about lost steps as it is pushed. FYI - my machine is slated for conversion to servos (my prior machine was servo based and I prefer it) - but this works fine as is, and can be used to build the parts needed for the servo upgrade. 
So far I'm happy with the machine - even though there were multiple little things that had to be worked out as part of initial set up (silly stuff like coolant plumbing assembled with straight (not taper) pipe threads and no sealant - resulting in leaks). I considered things like that as part of the package deal when dealing with Chinese iron. I will say that the Smithy people have been great to work with - customer service has been quite good.

The one thing that I'd like to change I knew about before I bought the machine. The Z axis is only 12" and a vise and tooling eat that up quickly. On the project list is a spacer for the column to shift the Z axis up 2"-4" so that the travel is more useable to me. But this should be an easy mod - a 4" thick hunk of steel with two parallel sides and 6 bolt holes.

I don't want to  start a "my brand machine is best war" - I tend to be of the opinion that a tool should suit the job it's being used for. I looked at IH and tormach and choose the smithy. I visited owners of both the IH and Smithy 1240 and took a close look before making a decision. For me, key factors were:
1) Tormach working envelope was smaller than I wanted - that was deal stopper for me;
2) IH gear head is noisy and limited re RPM, I prefer the belt drive on the smithy (or Tormach);
3) I preferred the linear guides for Z on the smithy - too many posts about hassles adjusting gibs on IH and Tormach to be just right;
4) Sensorless Vector vfd on the smithy (3P motor and VFD are extra $ on IH, T just upgraded to a comparable drive - again for extra $).
5) I wanted a machine w/o control as I had built a custom control and pendant etc for my prior machine that I wanted to reuse - I saw no need to pay for a rudimentary control like those that came bundled with all 3 brands, just to scrap it try to sell it used. Smithy agreed to sell the machine w/o a control; IH would also (both agreed after some arm twisting - a non-manfacturer control presents service issues to the companies - which I understood and agreed with);
6) for the configuration I wanted, Smithy ended up better on price than IH.

Dave

I like the enclosure , good job . I was thinking of the same mill but from another comany . What kind of feeds and rapids will it work at ? Did you reuse the 1700oz steppers ? Does it seem decent as far is being solid . What would you change if you had a choice ?

Thanks
Dave