Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 12:34:35 PM

Author Topic: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure  (Read 36687 times)

Re: Smithy 1240 CNC and enclosure
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 11:09:46 PM »
Hi,
re the possible servo conversion... I'm just in the thinking stage on that one.
My design would be driven by the equipment I already have. I have a set of motors and encoders that I used on a prior knee mill that I converted to CNC. They are MCG DC servo motors, 2 850in-oz (X and Y) and one 1100 in-oz (Z).
First issue is that the motors I have are all N34 mounts and all the smithy mounts are N42.
Smithy needed the N42 for Z and then decided to use all N42 to save SKUs - they told me early mills were N34.

The Smithy N42 mounts are essentially mechanical interfaces that convert form a bolt pattern at the machine/table end to a N42 mount. They are deep enough to house the couplings that are used between the Steppers and the ball screw shafts.

Smithy made a couple of servo driven 1240s - but they direct couple the servos to the shafts - I'm not surprised they didn't find that satisfactory. I'm include in the design in a belt drive reduction to keep the servos in the desired RPM range (again I'd use the pulleys and belts I have). This does not look too hard on X and Z, but Y is a bit more of a challenge as the Y motor is under the column arch casting. So I'm thinking that a shaft and bearings to extend the Y shaft out behind the casting would be needed... that then involves clearance issues between the casting and the rear panel of the cool catch system that I built the enclosure on top of....

I expect this so be a longer term project - I thought about it some prior to purchase, and I'm convinced it's doable, but it's also not an immediate priority for me. Since the steppers do work, it's easy to put this off and use the mill as is for higher priority projects.

Dave
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2009, 06:31:34 PM »
So how is the mill working so far ? Have and part pictures to show the finish ?

Dave
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2009, 09:46:12 PM »
HELP 
I have a early style Smithy 1240( Servo 4 speedTransmision)  Please help setting up Mach3 I have no paperwork on this mill A screen print of the pin set up would be GREAT . It now has emc2 on it no AXIS setup . I purchased it USED Please someone HELP . Thanks
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2009, 09:56:43 PM »
  Smithycnc ,

Does the EMC not work ?  EMC runs on Linux os . If you want to run Mach, you'll have to install on win 2000 , or xp. Preferably a pc tower.
Then check out the manuals and videos on the support tab at the top of this page. If you need more help , come back to this forum.

Ed
Ed VanEss
« Reply #34 on: June 21, 2012, 06:51:06 PM »
Love the enclosure mycalypso.

Any chance you can describe and maybe post some pictures of how it was put together and attached to the machine? I have one of these machines on order and I think I want to build a similar enclosure.
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 02:20:11 PM »
Got the CNC1240 in, and we are using it....works fairly well, but took a while to get a good tool change and measure procedure figured out.

Have yet to build the enclosure though, just got a simple screen on it now.