Hello Guest it is April 20, 2024, 06:13:02 AM

Author Topic: Easiest way to mirror a toolpath  (Read 5125 times)

Easiest way to mirror a toolpath
« on: January 20, 2009, 05:45:33 PM »
I have a pattern that I need to be able to cut on both sides because the bit won't go all the way through and there are some pockets that need to be on opposite sides of one of the patterns.
I tried using the software (Cut2D) to do this but each cut seems to have the mirroring off just slightly.
I have the material blocked and pinned so I am certain it is going into exactly the same spot after the flip. I have also run a test cut down both the x and y axis and measured to the edge of the material along each axis to make sure the material and gantry travel are square to the material and the measurements are exact.
This leads me to believe the issue is in my software and what I'm doing, I do think that I may be able to handle this within Mach3 by changing the Axis direction but I'm not sure if I should be doing this in the configuration of the motor outputs or should I be looking to modify the GCode somehow.
Any help and direction would save me allot of grief and be welcomed.
Thanks
Randy

vmax549

Re: Easiest way to mirror a toolpath
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 10:35:26 PM »
Try changing the scaling from 1 to -1 on the axis you want to flip

Just a thought(;-) TP
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »
I assume I would want to do this in the Gcode somewhere, you have to bear with me, I'm really new to this.
Thanks
Randy

vmax549

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 11:28:01 PM »
there are several ways to do it.

main screen next to the axis dro you will find the Scale dro it is normally 1.000

Or you could use a the gcode for scaling an axis (you will have to look it up)

(;-) TP
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 11:40:34 PM »
Ok, I can see that in the main screen, just switched it and reloaded it and it looks like it would work based on what I see in the display screen, it looks like I would have to re zero the machine to the flipped corner, is my assumption correct and if so what is the best way to make sure it is zeroed in exactly the same spot because if it gets zeroed out and is slightly off then I would assume the cuts once again won't line up.
Randy