Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 12:30:33 PM

Author Topic: Probe plug in what is "maximum z height for stuck probe" option do?  (Read 5252 times)

I installed the plugin for probing.
looks very cool.  any tips on how to use this correctly without destroying my new probe?

maximum z height for stuck probe?  what is this how to use it??

thanks!!
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 03:09:20 PM by rich05 »

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Probe plug in what is "maximum z height for stuck probe" option do?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2009, 05:18:59 AM »
I don't know anything at all about the probe plugin -

But what I always do with new code or anything new on a machine, is put a piece of material (usually a bit of flexible plastic tubing ) that approximates the tool, (or in thsi case your probe) and have a go. At least if if hits anything, you wont hurt it.

I have a simple probe, which works very well and stops on a plate using G31 instructions, but have not tried anything more adventurous.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 07:36:31 AM »
I dont know about the probing plugin either but just thinking the "maximum z height for stuck probe" sounds like a safety thing, if your probes input doesnt change back from its state when it touched the material then it will only raise as far as the setting you have for this. Could and probably am totally wrong but thats usual ;D

Hood
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2009, 10:01:54 AM »
Thanks for replies.  I found out it is indead a saftey thing.   Please tell me if I am wrong but there seems no way to test the probing without having a probe in there.  What I mean is the mill would crash the head or go to zero on the part and there would be not signal from a probe to register?  or am I incorrect would the Z axis go to zero then retract and move to next spot repeat process without a probe??

Maybe its worth a try without probe/

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2009, 10:15:15 AM »
you wouldnt actually be able to test without a probe or at least some form of input. You could hook up a switch and activate it to simulate the probe touching the material, would think a NC probe would be the best idea as if a wire was broken then Mach should raise rather than lower or for that matter may even throw an error before it starts. As said I have never used the plugin or probing so take that with a pinch of salt.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
While experimenting wit the DIGITIZE wizard, I just assigned a HOTKEY to the PROBE input and ran several point clouds that way....it worked as expected. Pretty cool.
RC

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
I never thought of that - good idea - I just held the probe in my hand and earthed it to simulate it touching something.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 06:08:45 AM »
You could use a bit of aluminium TIG rod or piano wire , insulate it with a bit of biro ink-tube, pop it in a regular drill chuck and then link the piano wire through your probe to your Mach system.

instant disposable probe for testing :)