Hello Guest it is April 25, 2024, 03:20:24 AM

Author Topic: Pokeys and VB6  (Read 6854 times)

Pokeys and VB6
« on: January 19, 2009, 11:46:21 AM »
I am an 'amateur' VB6 Programmer. I quess many Mach3 VB guys are amateur's also. What I want to do is control POKEYS55 from VB6. This is because the MACH/Cypress VB system truly sucks. ( I am not a diplomat ).  I downloaded and opened  file http://www.poscope.com/uploads/files/VisualBasicDemoScript.zip. I have copied the code to the bottom of this transmission appendix a.  I entered the code into Visual Basic 6 and it ran ! ! ! !  . it could tell if there was a device connected , at least. I was so happy ( for a minute )

I looked everywhere for a list off all the other ' magic chants ' ( or keywords or methods/properties  ) , I even read all the manuals !  But could not find them anywhere. I tried spying on the dll. and extracting the keywords from the .dll TLB file , with a text editor , there are about 30 of them.  but they do not work. a sample of the code taken from 'notepad' is in appendix b. there are little runes at the end of the keywords. I tried many variations of calling conventions and varible types , but could only get one to work "getbuilddate" . 

If there is anyone who knows how to fully harness the pokeys dll in VB6 It would be most helpfull. I tried to find a program  to read the dll/tlb file , no results. i tried to 'read' the pokeys specifications PDF , but its all in 'Greek' (usa humor).

appendix a  , code from pokeys file  these work !

' Example on using PoKeys communication DLL via VB scripting

set device = CreateObject("PoKeysDevice_DLL.PoKeysDevice")

if device.EnumerateDevices() = 0 then   ' Enumerate devices
   msgbox "No PoKeys55 devices found!"
else

device.ConnectToDevice 0   ' Connect to PoKeys55

device.SetPinData 0, 4, 0, 0     ' Set pin 1 as output

device.SetOutput 0, false   ' Set pin 1 output OFF

end if

appendix B

Appendix B is the dll / tlb file from  the pokeys55 folder , opened with notepad and cleaned up a little. (formatting)

GetDeviceIDWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ Ô¿
serialNumberÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ }-
firmwareVersionWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ AŒ
pinNumWW    ÿÿÿÿ ´'
GetDeviceIDExWWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ®—
firmwareVersionMajorÿÿÿÿ4    €Ú
firmwareVersionMinor    ÿÿÿÿ -I
GetBuildDateÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ    µà
buildDateWWW    ÿÿÿÿ    äe
GetUserIDWWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ jÑuserIDWW    ÿÿÿÿ    ”À
SetUserIDWWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ    !ínewUserIDWWW    ÿÿÿÿ
 –K
SetPinDataWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ¶pinIDWWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ‚J
pinFunctionWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ Üpull
UpDownResistorWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ    Ü
invertPinWWW    ÿÿÿÿ ªL
SetPinData_2    ÿÿÿÿ
 ¨
GetPinDataWWÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ²A
pinPossibleFunctions    X  ¡—
GetPinData_2    ˆ   ´
SetPinKeyMappingÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ

Offline NeoTO

•  504 504
    • View Profile
    • PoLabs
Re: Pokeys and VB6
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 01:11:19 PM »
The solution is quite simple.

In your Visual Basic 6.0 environment, go to Project > References..., find 'PoKeys device communication DLL' in the list (if you cannot find the entry, click Browse and locate .tlb file in PoKeys installation folder). Then press magic F2 key (it opens Object browser) and select PoKeysDevice_DLL in upper combo box. Now you can see all the functions and their parameters that PoKeys communication DLL supports.

To use the objects in DLL, proceed in this way (this is possible after you add Reference to PoKeys DLL):

Dim device As New PoKeysDevice

device.EnumerateDevices
    device.ConnectToDevice 0

device.DisconnectDevice

Set device = Nothing
« Last Edit: January 19, 2009, 01:14:15 PM by NeoTO »
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope

Offline borisz

•  220 220
    • View Profile
    • www.poscope.com
Re: Pokeys and VB6
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 04:09:05 PM »
Neoto is developer by PoLabs :)

regards

Boris
www.poscope.com home of PoKeys USB HID, IO, USB, Ethernet controler and PoScope USB PC oscilloscope