Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 10:19:53 AM

Author Topic: toolpath display: odd problem  (Read 6132 times)

toolpath display: odd problem
« on: January 19, 2009, 09:09:46 AM »
Hi. Strange one, this. My toolpath display 3D model looks fine, the line-by-line simulation goes nicely from one fixture to the other and the program works perfectly. On the other hand , when I actually run it, the green "done" line appears only over the first fixture (on the left). Pics of the fixtures are here: http://www.machsupport.com/forum/index.php/topic,9956.0.html - the left hand fixture is G56, and the right hand is G55. It starts on the left, chops out a hole, then goes right and does the bolt holes, face relief and edge trim, then returns to the start position on G56 and rewinds. Any ideas? it's not stopping me working but I'd like it to display properly. Ta :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: toolpath display: odd problem
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 09:15:54 AM »
I think thats just a normal thing, obviously not correct but will probably be one of the things Brian will sort when he is doing the display part of the code.  I believe display  is next in line after the comp has been finished.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 09:23:47 AM »
ah, ok. I'll be patient :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2009, 09:28:25 AM »
Just to make sure I am getting what you are meaning, does the green line show continually on the left side even when its actually doing the right, ie if you clicked on the toolpath screen after the left has cut, to refresh does, it show the right hand side getting cut but its showing it on the left?

Hood
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 09:40:12 AM »
I haven't tried switching to Toolpath in a cycle, but I can see the green line progressing on the little toolpath screen at the top right of the "program run" screen. As you say, I can see it going around and around on the left hand fixture when it's actually cutting on the right. I'll try looking at the toolpath screen next time I run it.

It's better than the other way round so I won't gripe if a fix is on the way anyway ;)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 10:07:05 AM »
Its ok thats what I was meaning, wasnt actually meaning changing pages, should have said toolpath display window rather than screen.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 02:24:46 PM »
Hi, I use G56 offsetting for a fixture for cutting 10 of the same item. The toolpath display shows cutting the first item 10 times which is a bit bothersome but if the offset coords are correct it souldn't cause a problem.

For those that may be new to offsetting, One thing that had me tearing my hair out for 2 days is that once it had done the 10 items and I placed another set of 10 blanks in the jig and re-ran the gcode the next 10 were slightly offset in X to the right. The troublesome offset was a small amount but never an exact figure

The cause of this was that the machine hadn't actually got to the required position before the next G56 offset was commanded.

I placed a small G4 wait before each G56 to allow the machine time to settle, this cured the problem.

Edited.. Duh I meant G52.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:50:02 PM by cjmerlin »
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:47:57 AM »
useful tip: thanks ;)
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2009, 01:48:04 PM »
Hi, Ok, I take it back. Bothersome is not the right word to use. A right F*^%ing pain in the a*se is more appropriate.

I have lost a whole days work today because of this toolpath window problem and broken a whole bunch of cutters.

I had to write a new program using the same jig so I thought I'd be clever and just cut the main gcode from a file I had already run ok and write the new bit in.

So I ran the program which offsets in X and it cut the 1st position twice and then moved in minus X. I hit the estop.

The whole day went by as I tried to figure this out and between kicking a plastic bucket about the workshop in frustration and grimmacing at the missus as she supplied cups of tea.
 I eventually realised that I missed out a G0 X0 at the beginning of my code.

Hallelujah, I ran the code and the machine still didn't go where I expected it to. WHY, WHY....

Here's my second tip, If it's all gone wrong and you've stopped the machine in the middle of the program, move the cutter back to the starting datum and then in the MDI type G52 X0 Y0 Z0 and then zero all axis.

This will get you back out of any offsets your program has set before.

Hopefully one day the tool path window will emulate the actual machine position what ever code is used and I would have been able to test the gcode and correct mistakes before breaking tools/foot/marriage, delete as applicable!

I have attached a sample program to give an idea of my problems. I am now off to thank the missus for the teas and apologise for my grumpiness.

Still a newbe,

John

vmax549

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2009, 07:10:00 PM »
(;-) YEP the display code cannot see the offset as anything but 0,0 again because the same code is used for each object with mach just ofsetting the 0,0 point and resetting.  SO it look like it cuts the same code over and over again because it is , just in a different physical position.

Hopefully the new toolpath code will correct this. Till then it is best to DRYRUN any code you may have reservations about.

OR run it through a code simulator to test.

(;-) TP