Hello Guest it is March 19, 2024, 03:58:44 AM

Author Topic: Mach + Grex + Pendant w/MPG  (Read 13383 times)

Re: Mach + Grex + Pendant w/MPG
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2006, 10:43:21 PM »
Rats..  well I guess i"m going to be glad I just branched the wires from my break out board over to the G100 so I could in theory go back to parallel quickly..

Guess I will live with out the G100 or something for a while seeing I don't think I can live with out my MPG's

Was fun trying to make it work though..

b.

Offline JB

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:11 PM »
Brian (or anyone that has got this figured),

It seems from other posts after your last one here that others have managed to get an MPG going, but you mention in this thread that you think the code is not active in Mach3 at the time. I am now running 2.00.031 and cannot get this figured. Could you point me in the right direction?

I am using a Tosoku brand MPG handle (used on Okuma sometimes and Fanuc type machines like Johnford and such) with OFF/resolution switch and another switch for axis selection. I'll worry about the resolution and axis selection later. The problem is that I can see the pulses on the Digital Input side of the G100 plug-in realtime display (I'm using ports 1 & 2 at the moment) but get absolutely no other response.?? This pulse generator uses a +5 volt supply and A and B side signal outputs.

Help and Thanks!
John B

PS: This wouldn't be that bad if I didn't have decades of time on a machine where I had a pulse handle to set work coordinates. I feel like I'm going to crash using the jog function.
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 08:54:23 AM »
the 1 mpg input goes in throughthe one of the other axis inputs (A or the other one of the 6 I think.)  would have to open my box to check..  It isn't inputed though the x y or z part of the Grex..

b.

Offline drew

•  79 79
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 10:51:41 AM »
How do you like your Grex so far?
If I had something important to say it would be here.
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 03:20:29 PM »
Seemed like it worked.  Some things did scare me about it.  Like if you clicked on a mach dropdown while jogging it would continue to jog and ignore estops as I remember.  Been a while since I've tried it again..

But I got it to solve another problem which was not caused by the pc but rather the bios setting I was running at the time.

Need support for 3 MPG's at the same time before I go back to it I think.

b.

Offline JB

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2007, 11:02:35 PM »
wcarrothers,

What input pin numbers would they be then that would act like MPG inputs but come in through the encoder inputs? As Art has stated many times, this is not (yet) a closed loop system, so I don't get how connecting an MPG to an encoder bank of an unused port makes sense.

THX,
John

Offline chad

•  361 361
  • When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 11:23:20 PM »
An encoder and a mpg are basically the same type of device, or more specifically a quadrature encoder.

Art probably was testing the mpg input and the hardware already handles the quadrature decoding so it was easy to work with.

Chad

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2007, 08:50:11 AM »
The problem with the G100 and MPG's is not that it can't read the encoders. The problem is that the G100 only will tell us the position of the encoder every 1/4 of a sec :(
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com