Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 11:10:30 AM

Author Topic: Windows XP shell for Mach3  (Read 12268 times)

Windows XP shell for Mach3
« on: January 15, 2009, 10:39:22 AM »
I have write for a friend (a liuther) a new Windows XP Shell (to replace MS Explorer in dedicated Mach3 PCs or when you need an hi performances machine) to optimize OS performances with Mach3. Mach dont need 99% of standard Windows Shell (like auto disk indexing, Plug&Play, and so on), so i have write a compact 120k app to optimize resources use.

He has built a very fast 3 axis CNC machine (up to 7 meters/sec, working area cm 100x80x60) and the system performance was the critical aspect of the solution. After a lot of optimizations (sw and hw) i have cut all OS parts unnecessaries.

The new shell is a replacement of MS Explorer.

An easy menu command can restore MS Explorer interface (normal Windows mode) or activate Mach3SHELL (CNC mode). So when needed you can use your Windows XP as usual.

The interface is draggable and any image whith alpha channel transparency (ex. png) can be used as shape; means: you can use your company logo. The shell itself is 120k, and performances are terribly improved (about 500% in some case).

It works only in Windows XP (Home or Professional).

I dont know if my work can interest someone, but can be useful. Shell dont require installation (is only a 100k executable) and if someone want to test it i can put the file on the net to download.

Have a nice day.

-> GChiappori
Re: Windows XP shell for Mach3
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2009, 05:43:45 AM »
Small page on internet with program download:

http://www.gbcdepot.com/m3s/

Thanks.

Offline Jeff_Birt

•  1,107 1,107
    • View Profile
    • Soigeneris
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2009, 08:52:26 AM »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing!
Happy machining , Jeff Birt

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 12:14:15 AM »
I'm new to your site and it has a lot of info. Good work guys. I'm building a PilotPro and will be finish by the end of next month hope. Got a question on your improvement for XP do you need to installed SP2 also ? I'm going to use Mach3 to run it.
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2009, 12:29:05 PM »
Hi ajh359.

Mach3SHELL runs on any XP, with or without any kind of SP.
Only requirement is Mach3 installed in c:\mach3 folder and administrator privileges (can access some register keys).

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 04:00:24 PM »
I need some more info on how to get this setup to work.  my computer is only setup to run Mach 3 so i'm not worried about screwing it up and i really want the most transparent, most dos like windows operation as i can get.  i agree there is way to much garbage running in the back ground of windows.