Hello Guest it is April 16, 2024, 03:31:33 PM

Author Topic: CAD/CAM software?  (Read 5383 times)

CAD/CAM software?
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:47:31 PM »
Hello oh wise and informed Mach users!
I am a luthier, (maker of musical instruments).  I am entering the world of CNC and having fun so far.

I have built a 25”x 37”  router table: (http://www.solsylva.com/) with xylotech steppers and controller and a ¼” spindle.  I am using a demo version of Mach 3 (which I will upgrade to the full version as soon as I am sure that this is a good move.)

I’ve got the table working and I’ve been having fun cutting roadrunners, :) but now it is time to move on to bigger and better things, (and have the table help to make some money). ;D

Now to my question to you sages of the milling world:

Since I will be milling Guitar necks, Mandolin top plates, electric Guitar bodies and various other similar parts, I need to know what I should do as far as CAD/CAM software. Of course I am looking for the Holy Grail here; a really cheap (or free) program that is quick to learn and very easy to use, that will do 3D.   My operation is very small and resources are very limited.  Do you all have any recommendations? 

Hood

Re: CAD/CAM software?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:37:35 PM »
Not really sure but I have heard that Rhino is a good 3D drawing program and its fairly good on price as well especially if you are a student ;) I think there is also a CAM program that works with Rhino called MadCAM and if I remember right it was either free or cheap. I dont have any experience with either other than messing with the trial versions so cant really  say whether they are good or not but must be worth a look.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 09:48:40 PM »
Rhino is my choice of design programs and I use the Madcam plugin as my cam system. Off Broadway is about the cheapest price I know of, I have seen one other posted but for the life of me I can't tell you where it is.

Madcam is not free, but it is not expensive compared to many cam software packages. I think Robert from Offbroadway may offer a bundle price as well.

I have two guitars in design right not and have started machining one of them. It is one of those design a little then machine a little thingys! ;D

Mike
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 02:18:10 AM »
By chance do you have a URL for Off BOradway?  I checked one place and they want $640.00 for Madcam.
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 09:45:32 AM »
http://www.ob.com/

I wish I knew the name for the other place but I just can seem to remember it. You might try a search over on the CNCzone for rhino prices and find the name like that. I'm sure that is where I saw it.

Mike
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2006, 09:26:17 AM »
You should have a look at Vectric Vcarve Pro. I just purchased it and it is the easiest I have ever seen to learn.
www.vectric.com  I believe. Custom-CNC.com sells it.
Jim