Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 06:48:30 AM

Author Topic: Motion controller ethernet not communicating.  (Read 8220 times)

Motion controller ethernet not communicating.
« on: January 09, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »
When i first attempted to connect my touch screen control head to my machine via DSPMC controller I was unable to get communication through the ethernet. Since then, i've been running off a newer donor control head and its been fine.

I've troubleshooted the problem with the old head a bit and all I can see for being the problem is the ethernet connection speed. The motherboard on my control head says:

LAN:
One or two Realtek RTL8139C Ethernet controllers 10Base-T / 100Base-TX protocol.

The DSPMC manuals says:

DSPMC/IP comes with 48 digital I/Os, 8 channel analog inputs of 14-bit resolution, 6 encoder inputs of
32-bit resolution, and 8 channel analog output of 14-bit resolution with +/-10V range. The board has a
wide input power supply range, from 10V to 40V DC. It has a RS-232 serial port and TCP/IP based
10/100 Ethernet connectivity.

Noteworthy:

The current control head has a 10/100 port and a 10/100/1000 port. The dspMC ethernet port only lights up in the 10/100/1000 port. Even the 10/100 port on the new control head will not work.

Which would suggest the motion controller is infact 1000 Base-T protocol. And will not work with the intended PC which is contrary to Vitals literature. Someone tell me Im wrong here. The newer control head im running right now is not touch screen and is much more expensive than the older touch screen i want to run.

Will the dspMC run off a 10/1000 Ethernet connection?

Thanks  ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2009, 06:24:56 PM by halkintool »
Re: Motion controller ethernet not communicating.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »
Update:

I've tried everything under the sun to get this working with no success.

Heres what i've found.

My realtec RTL8139 ethernet card WILL NOT connect to the dspMC. I installed updated drivers and still nothing. This is a 10/100 supported card so it shouldnt be a problem. I tested this setup and it does connect to other networks, just not the dsp.

I've also tried the Intel 10/100 ethernet port on my current PC setup and nothing, nada. No lights, no ones home. The only time it works is when im plugged into the 10/100/1000 port on the current PC and when it connects its connected at 100mps. It seems to be a simple hardware incompatibility.

I borrowed a dell laptop and it was able to connect to the dsp. So results are inconsistant, seems like it will only connect to certain Ethernet adapters.

Offline kcrouch

•  193 193
  • In way too deep!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2009, 09:14:21 PM »
Please check to see if you need a crossover cable for this connection. You won't if you are using a router switch, but you will if you are connecting direct.
Kenny
Having way too much fun! Something must surely be wrong.
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 02:34:23 AM »
I have run the dspmc on several different computers and only one had a gigabit network card.

Kcrouch is correct in that you will need a crossover cable to run directly from the dspmc to the computer. You use a standard cable if using a switch in between them.
There is a little catch which might be giving you your inconsistent results. Some ethernet port will automatically figure out if you need crossever or not, and some won't. I would assume that the older stuff won't and the newer stuff will.

Many of the 10/100/1000 cards do the auto negotiation and many of the 10/100 won't.

Let us know how you make out.

Since the tcp/ip protocoll is a well known interface they should all in fact talk to each other, but with the thousands and thousands of different cards and versions, it wouldn't suprise me if you found one that won't work or is otherwise incompatable. Mach3 thru the pport has the same problem, certain pports just don't work, even though the pport is an even older and better know standard.

Mike
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2009, 10:08:44 AM »
Just read this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable

I think you guys are right, ill give it a shot. For the record, this should probably be bolded in the manual for ignorant people like myself  ;D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 10:50:21 AM by halkintool »
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 07:03:19 AM »
Section 3.2 page 9 In the graphic showing how to do a direct connection, it clearly states to use a crossover cable.
Also under the graphic, it tells about the possibility of not neededing a crossover cable if your card does auto negotiation.

As an aside, I changed computers on my mill to a Vista based desktop and I had a hell of a time getting it to comunicate.
I tried 3 different network cards, but I had to go with the a name brand card to get it to work. All the cards from the junk pile didnot work.
This card does have auto negotiation, so I may have caught myself in the standard vs crossover problem.

I pulled the gigabit network card out of my other computer and it worked 1st time.
The 2 other cards would not link up at all, or even light the lights.
 If the lights on the card light up when plugged into the dspmc and the network card, you should be able to get it to talk.

I would also shut down any firewall that may be running, as this could interupt communications.

Mike

Post again if it still doesn't work and I can try to help.
We never have the time or money to do it right the first time, but we somehow manage to do it twice and then spend the money to get it right.
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2009, 10:36:36 AM »
I found it on that page after i was told, however if it was clear it would have been picked up. Im guessing lots of people have made the same mistake. I think it would be wise to note on the connection page that there is a differentiation between a standard ethernet cable and a crossover ethernet cable, i just assumed they were the same.  The whole "build your own CNC machine" market is appealing to the DIY'ers and most i would say dont have the comprehensive computer knowledge required to pick up on those types of subtleties.

Just a thought, id add an astericks at the bottom of that page and say "Note, for direct computer/dspMC communication, an ethernet crossover cable is required. This is not the same as a standard ethernet cable."

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
thanks for the note.  will add that in the next revision of the manual.

regards,
Rufi