Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 08:48:38 PM

Author Topic: Mach3  (Read 3529 times)

Mach3
« on: January 06, 2009, 06:15:10 PM »
Hi,

I'm completely new to all this so please bare with me... I have a couple of questions.

1. What is needed to be able to engrave in Alloy, anything different to what would be used to carve/engrave wood?

2. Does Mach3 allow images to be imported then output to your chosen material?

3. Is it possible to engrave into an alloy wheel?

I've been looking on the Rockcliff Machine site and I'm interested in building my own CNC machine... can anyone give me any pointers as to where to start with this?

Many thanks for your time and patients.

Online Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
Re: Mach3
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 07:23:33 PM »
Tooling wise what will engrave wood will do alum, the only thing with alum is you may need cutting fluid.

Mach3 will run g-code generated by CAM systems, it will not create code from pictures.

I would start by following some of the links in the resources menu at the top of the forum.  Look at Vcarve, ArtCAM etc.

Your machine will determine what you can do more than mach3 will.  If your machine can get to the places you need to engrave then mach will engrave on it.

Graham
Without engineers the world stops

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 07:30:42 PM »
1. You can engrave in most anything. The type material will dictate the type machine and cutter to use.

2. Yes and no. Mach will not generate the g code itself but it does come with lazycam for generating code. It isn't as simple as importing a picture and then printing it with your machine though. Also might want to have a look at Vectrix software.

3. Sure is, Should be relatively simple to do.

Go to the youtube site and watch some of the machines in action. Also click on the suport tab at the top of this page and have a look at some of the tutorial videos and read the Mach manuals. Loads of information in those. Will give you an idea of what you will be doing. Youve already done step one and joined the forum. Lots of good people here to help.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:32:53 AM »
Thanks for the replies guys, really appreciated all the help I can get. I will take a look at what you have mentioned today :-)

Just need to get the complete parts list and plans, do you know anyone who has purchased the plans from Rockcliff Machines?
Reading the description they sound very good, but because I new to this there may be better out there ?

I will probably start off using wood but wold like to try alum :-)

Thanks again.