Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 08:19:41 AM

Author Topic: Greek Concept on mach3 user interface!  (Read 23277 times)

Greek Concept on mach3 user interface!
« on: January 06, 2009, 02:24:23 PM »
Hi everybody!
I've been using Mach3 for the last couple of years to drive two machines. One small router and one X,Y,Z table for dispense applications.
I've been working as a graphic designer for the last 15 years. I've been watching this thread and i really liked the approaches of many Mach3 users. So, during Xmas holidays, i made my  attempt to design my own screen. It took me 2 days working on it since i believe there are certain rules one has to follow during an interface design approach.
This specific screen is exclusively photoshop work.

My first attempt on GUI (Graphic User Interface) design was 10 years ago, when i used to design my own applications on FileMakerPro (Database program). I had to read many books having to  do with GUI and i would like to refer to some important issues that i take in mind:
1) Navigation from screen to screen, from screen to function and backwards
2) Button design
3) The number of buttons on a screen
4) The tab concept
5) Distinguishable graphic elements and distinguishable groups of them
6) The size of elements
7) Colour contrast

When i started designing the screen, the first limitation appeared to me: The invisible power behind a GUI is... habit.
If this screen is finished and other users of the program use it too, it would be wrong to change the overall design of the Mach3 screen (even though i strongly disagree with the position and the size of certain buttons, fonts, etc) since the change would cause confusion to the power user. So, i constrained myself to changes having to do with the design of the buttons, fonts, leds and colours. In other words, we actually have a different skin here.
The only new idea that is proved to be a powerful communicative media to describe precisely the meaning of speed is the analog instrument for feedrate and spindle control.
In the  feedrate control  the analog instrument (if it possible) can show the realtime speed of axis (acceleration for example)

I would appreciate your opinion. If it's worth it, i will continue to the design of the rest of Mach3 screens (MDI, Diagnostics, etc)
Is it possible for the analog instruments to operate with some flash work for example?
I don't have the slightest idea about using the Screendesigner or Screen 4.... so any help from you is more than wellcome!
I can upload the psd file on rapid share and share it with you.
All the buttons are layered in five stages (normal, over, hit, pressed, disabled)
All the DROs, MDI, buttons and leds have transparent edges so as to be background independent.
The scale DRO are missing and also some other things.... but you can get the basic design of my screen

Thanks in advance
George

Clik Here :
http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/7960/toubalismach3maincc1.jpg

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
Re: Greek Concept on mach3 user interface!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2009, 02:39:30 PM »
I love everything about it, except, I'm a bit like you where I do not like the way the original screen is setup, hence the reason to make my own screen in the first place. I love the look of it as it's just so smooth and it looks like something the company "Roland" would have put out in the 80's for a piece of music gear in a rack system  :D  (that's a good thing!)

If you did indeed finish it, and make it available, I would probably try to rearrange things to my liking but I don't have photoshop so I'd have to use Jasco Paint Shop Pro 9 to manipulate some things.

As for flash, I don't think you can have a mix and match of flash designs, I think it's either flash or not but someone here will know more.

Just a fantastic look.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2009, 02:45:14 PM »
Thanxs Dave!
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 12:40:09 AM »
George,

It's the most eye catching design so far in my opinion. Neat and crisp are two words best describing it. I would love to build on it our next mach3 screen set. It would be a service to us all if you could finish the other screens too. I am willing to convert these to mach screen sets as these are exactly to my taste.

Zafar
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 06:04:23 AM »
Thanks Zafar!
The truth is i had expected more responses (positive or negative, that's not really the point) but obviously it's too early.
I will wait for a couple of weeks and if there is more interest, i'll speed up to the next screens, otherwise i will move on a slower pace!...
If i could finish it completely myself, i would have done it already, but this is impossible without your help guys. :D

George
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2009, 07:23:05 AM »
Hi George,
That is a very nice screen. Just enough contrast to be easy to see AND easy on the eyes. Keeping the general positions the same as the original is a good idea for my use. If this were completed, I would use it for mill.
  I would also like to see this format combined with PoppaBears Practical Turn screen.....that wiuld be REAL cool.
Nice work George,
Thanks, RC
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2009, 09:18:12 AM »
I'll be waiting ....

Zafar

Thanks Zafar!
The truth is i had expected more responses (positive or negative, that's not really the point) but obviously it's too early.
I will wait for a couple of weeks and if there is more interest, i'll speed up to the next screens, otherwise i will move on a slower pace!...
If i could finish it completely myself, i would have done it already, but this is impossible without your help guys. :D

George

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2009, 10:02:41 AM »
Thanks Zafar!

George

The truth is is that you probably will only get responses from a handful of people. Even if a lot of people are interested, most of them will just not post anything, good or bad.

On the bright side, if you ask for help, you'll get plenty of it. But for whatever reason, opinions (good or bad) are harder to come by.

As for your screen it looks real good.

But with regards to screen4, you won't be able to use your analog gauges, and you can't use multiple button states. (At least I don't think you can. I'm no expert. :) ) In the screen I'm making, I am getting two state buttons by making them LED's, with transparent buttons over them.

Good luck, and feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

Offline ataxy

•  31 31
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2009, 12:05:56 PM »
wonderful screen like the grey finish of the panel looks clean and easy on the eye

Offline zealous

•  489 489
  • HI!
    • View Profile
    • Artsoft Solutions
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2009, 07:12:36 AM »
Hi,
Send me the PSD file (with layers) and I will make it a working screen in Mach even with gauges :)
Flash will import the PSD file...actually anything Adobe makes can now be transferred between all of their programs.

There is nothing you can't do using Mach and Flash  ;D