Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:18:11 AM

Author Topic: Reinstall Mach3 How To Do It Properly  (Read 7033 times)

Reinstall Mach3 How To Do It Properly
« on: January 04, 2009, 10:47:17 PM »
IBM Clone Running XP Pro, Registered version of Mach3, Homemade Fixed Grantry CNC

I have wired up my Limit/Home switches in series.  Checked that they work as desired with a VOM, no shorts or opens found.

X is wired to pin10, Y to Pin 11, and Z to pin 12, the return to the ground of the BOB.

I have configured Mach3 Input to be Port 1 and pins 10,11,12 for XYZ.

And now the problem:
When go to the Diagnostics in Mach3 the Z is already lit and it will blink if I depress either of the Z switches.
Neither of the X or Y LED are lit and will not light if I depress either one of them.

I am told that I need to reinstall Mach3 because there is something that has gone bad within Mach3.

Do I need to delete the Directory containing all of the Mach3 files or can I just reinstall the latest version over the current version. 

I understand you can save a certain file that contains all of the current settings so you don't have to reset them all over again, but I'm not sure if I should do that as I might just keep the same problem.

Thanks

Mr. Chips
Retired 3M'r

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
Re: Reinstall Mach3 How To Do It Properly
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 01:01:32 AM »
Who has told you something has gone bad with Mach3 ?? - possibly someone who markets the Bob.

You must do a bit more detective work with a volt meter, before starting major re-boots. Having said that, you can install Mach3 again, without problems, but the only thing you would need to do is re-install the drivers.

However - more of that later.

The trouble with Bobs is that they interefere with the signals - in that they usually invert the voltage going to and from the computer. Lets start with the Z axis. There is a fault here - the led should be out, and light when you depress the switches, BUT at least it is working.

1. With the Bob connected to the computer, but not to the switches, check the outputs (i.e. the ones going to the computer) that correspond to the inputs from your switches and see what voltage they are - Ov of 5v. If you check the Z axis first and see what that is. then the X and the Y axis. They should all be the same. If not there is a problem with your Bob.

2. Go to Config/Ports and Pins/Inputs. First ensure that each input is enabled,and that all the Xs are shown on the same pin, all the Ys and all the Zs. check you have set the port number on them all, then check the active high/low.  If the voltage on the Z axis is +5 then you should see that the "Active Low" button is not ticked - i.e. the computer recognises a high signal as the switch being tripped. If the voltage input is 0v then you should see that "Active Low" is ticked - i.e. the computer recognises a 0v signal as the switch being activated. (This is the wrong way round for correct working, but we will make a simple alteration later). If you check that the X and Y axis and set the "Active Low" to the same as the Z axis, you should now find that all the leds are now llit on the diagnostics board.

3. Check the voltage at the input of your Bob board on your three pins. Get a small length of wire, and, if the voltage at the Bob is 0v, then fasten one end of the wire to your 5 volt supply on the Bob and touch other end of the wire on the input. The leds should go out. (If the voltage on the Bob input is normally 5v then fasten the wire to 0v and do the same, the leds should go out.

4. If the leds are working correctly at this stage, then the problem is with your wiring. The Z axis is correct, so, before fastening it up, check the voltage on the end of the wire going to the Bob. Your X and Y axis should be the same, and they all should alter when you switch the switches. If they do, fasten them up.

On your diagnostics page, you should now have all the leds lit. Pres the switches and they should go out.

5. To make the switches work correctly, now go back to Config/Ports and Pins/Input and reverse the settings on the "Active Low" column. This should put out the leds, and they should come back on when the switches activate.

A bit long winded, but you can probably do it quicker that reading it. I have numbered the points, if you have a problem tell us where the thing breaks down.

Jim Pinder
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 01:05:36 AM by jimpinder »
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2009, 01:42:45 AM »
1. With the Bob connected to the computer, but not to the switches, check the outputs (i.e. the ones going to the computer) that correspond to the inputs from your switches and see what voltage they are - Ov of 5v. If you check the Z axis first and see what that is. then the X and the Y axis. They should all be the same. If not there is a problem with your Bob.

Voltages:  Measured from ground to drive pins and limit switches disconnected.  X= 5.08  Y= 5.08  Z= 4.84  A= 3.34  E-Stop Pin15 (not isolated) 4.95

2.  Verified that X, Y, Z were all set to the correct port and pin.  Plugged Limit switch connection back in.  Input 1 & 2 not Lit, and there isnt any change when I manually trip either switch, Z was lit and it goes off when I trip either Z limit switch.

3. Disconnected the limit switch connection:  Used a jumper between the ground and X and then Y no led light, jumped ground to Z and the led lit.

What do you think?
Mr. Chips
Retired 3M'r

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2009, 08:25:11 AM »
What kind of switches are you using? Is it possible that the x and y are wired normally open and the z is wired normally closed?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2009, 10:01:58 AM »
I am using micro switches,and all of the Limit/Home switche pairs (IE: X+ and X-) are wired in series, and are connected to the Normally Closed terminals of the switches.

I disconnected the X-10, Y-11 and Z-12 connections to the BOB from the switches, and moved the wires for testing.

I then made a connection from my VOM to the ground on the BOB which was still connected to the return of all three sets of switches.

I then tested the X-10, Y-11 and Z-12 wires that were disconnected from the BOB and all three showed continunity, as they should because the switches were wired Normally Closed. (Testid one by one)

I then checked X-10, Y-11 and Z-12 wires in turn by pressing the + and - limit switches and the circuit showed an open as each switch was depressed.

Everything checks out as far as the switches and wiring from the BOB to the Switches and back.

What is my next step?

Thank you all for your help.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 10:07:39 AM by Mr.Chips »
Mr. Chips
Retired 3M'r

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 03:34:50 PM »
I have sent you a personal message.

Brett

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 12:55:59 AM »
Houston, We have SUCCESS!!

The solution of the nonworking Limit/Home Switches was to reconfigure the X Y and Z Limit/Home Switches into one serial connection and connect all three to Pin 12 (z) and Ground on the BOB.

Brett also walked me through configuring my Motor Home/Soft limit settings.  Am proud to say that everything is working as Mach3 has designed it to thanks to. 

All of this was done without the aid of Brett connecting to my PC and seeing the screen and know exactly what was happening.  If there is a next time I will arrange to connect the CNC PC using a wireless adapter, that will make technical assistance much, much easier.

Thanks again Brett.

Hager (AKA Mr.Chips)
Mr. Chips
Retired 3M'r

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 02:16:54 PM »
No problem Hager, glad your up and running. Would like to know what the problem is with the other 2pins when you find out though.

Brett