Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:00:32 AM

Author Topic: Buzzing steppers  (Read 26915 times)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing steppers
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2009, 03:49:14 AM »
Hi, Bob

At the top of this page on the left you'll find your name and Message to read, see pic, Once you click on it you should see the Msg., If you click your name there's an option to set Option's / Preferences also.

Thanks for pointing out it was working yesterday, I missed That, These setting are still worth Checking at this Point..

My earlier post second Pic,  Set all 6 of your Dir/Step LowActives to ether "X'es  or "Checks"'s, "It's the Proper way to set them up" and isn't really properly addressed in the manual. , All the same, One way or the other may make a Difference. On some controls it has no effect, Others the axises won't run at All or Poorly.

If you need to change a axis direction do it on Motor Tuning page "Reversed" state to Checked for the axises that are running  backwards.

Getting late Hear, Chip
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2009, 09:45:41 AM »
Morning Everybody,
Maybe today will be my lucky day. Re: Chip's last note, I rechecked all the step/dirs for active high pulse and axis direction , and they are set correctly. One thing I noticed, however, is that whenever the Reset button flashes, there is a message that says "No shuttle detected of type selected". Is that important?
Also, I'm hoping that Xylotex will respond this morning to the email that I sent them on Saturday...if they do, I will update everyone.
Thanks again, Bob

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2009, 12:34:03 PM »
One thing I noticed, however, is that whenever the Reset button flashes, there is a message that says "No shuttle detected of type selected". Is that important?

I only get that when I have my Shuttle Pro disconnected and it's never a problem, I just assume it's letting me know the status.

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2009, 01:28:41 PM »
I've got a real bad feeling re: Xylotex....After waiting all morning for them to answer my emails, I looked up their number and called. Their phone is disconnected. I guess I need to assume that they're out of business. I guess what I will do is take my office computer to the shop and copy the mach file to it, and see if that changes anything. If it doesn't, then I can eliminate the pc along with the bob, and I will buy a new drive box. Question: for a plug-and-play type unit, can I use the existing steppers or do they need to be factory tuned to it? Also, does anyone have any suggestions for a good unit, brand-wise?
Thanks again, Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2009, 02:16:04 PM »
What you are calling a drive box is really just a group of stepper drives on one pcb. Generally the make recognised as the best are the Geckos and there are a few different versions you could , the newest of which are the lower power G250, G251 and  G540 which I would think would be plenty for your motors. The G540 is kind of a similar idea to your xylotex in that there are 4 drives connected in one unit but it also has a breakout board included, the good thing though is they are all seperate components so if one did happen to go down you just get a replacement drive and not the whole unit.
 Any idea what kind of motors you have and their current ratings?

Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2009, 02:27:39 PM »
Hi, Bob

At this point I think we need to revisit your velocity and acceleration values in Motor Tuning.

I'm thinking you have "as many do" tuned your speeds with the default F6 feed rate that Mach3 default's to with new Installs.

Let's start from scratch, Go into Config, General Config screen and set the Initialization String to F100 and "Check" the Use Int. String on All Reset's Box, See Pic below.

Now go into Motor Tuning and set the Velocity and accelerations to Vel 10 Alel. to 1 for all 3 axies, Dont forget the Save axis settings button for each axis, then Load one of your files and do some test's and some Joging around.

Post the result's, Did you find the PM If not, It was, "If your in the US, PM your phone # and I'll give you a Call".

Edit: If it was working before we should be able to find the problem at some point.

Chip
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 02:31:55 PM by Chip »
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2009, 02:59:33 PM »
News: I got an email from Xylotex, which of course said I should check the ports/pins/acceleartion, etc. I wrote back asking them to call me .
Hood - the motors are 425s with 1/8 microstepping.
Chip -- I will try what you outlined and post back.
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
Chip -- I went through the list and they sound the sam -- the y axis is fine, but the x and z still sound horrible. I started a file to see if by chance it was just happening in jog mode, but it's there too.
Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2009, 03:18:39 PM »
Bob, ok I am presuming xylotex list these motors so will have a look but the 1/8th microstepping is a drive feature and nothing to do with the motor. Hopefully you will find the problem is other than hardware but if it is then I would certainly consider going the Gecko route, not sure how much more expensive they are compared to xylotex but ask Jim Pinder if the Geckos are worth the money, I loaned him one on a semi permanent loan and even though his wallet has double locks on it he has now splashed out on geckos for his other axis ;D

Hood
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2009, 03:41:33 PM »
Hood -- I will email Gecko right now and ask them what they suggest.
Bob