Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 09:18:29 AM

Author Topic: Buzzing steppers  (Read 26922 times)

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing steppers
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2009, 08:05:18 PM »
Hi, Bob

Sent you a PM Message, Looked at your xml, It may not be the one your using as the pin assignment seems different.

With BOB's & Axis Cont. Boards, There a couple more things that need to be checked, I'm thinking that Xoltex board's may need longer step pulses to see the pulses properly and are sensitive to leading/trailing edge step/dir. pulses.

In the pic's below, Set mach3 to sherline 1/2 step mode,Apply, OK and shut down and restart Mach3, This set's wider Pulses.

Set all 6 of your Dir/Step LowActives to ether X on Checked, All the same, If you need to change a axis direction do it in motor tuning page "Reversed" state to Check.

Give it a shot, let me know, It could be your velocity settings as Hood Sed or your default start-up feed settings also..

Chip

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2009, 08:08:24 PM »
Ah think you have it there Chip, no experience with xylotex but certainly seems to ring a bell that they need the wider pulses :)

Hood

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2009, 08:25:43 PM »
Hi, Hood

Your Head, Ring's all the time like mine, HU.!!

Leading and Trailing Edges, can get'ya also.

Chip

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2009, 08:33:46 PM »
LOL yep :)

Hood

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2009, 09:09:08 PM »
Heres a very basic guide to scopes, might be of some use to you, certainly helped me when I first got one.
Hood
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2009, 09:45:47 PM »
I just rethought the whole good motor/bad path scenario and you're right -- it doesn't tell me anything. Which means that all I've eliminated is the BOB board. Maybe I need to go to bed.
Thanks again, Bob
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2009, 09:49:54 PM »
I also just realized that I missed some messages -- I guess I skipped ahead a page. However, Chip, I just printed out your message and will try what you suggest.
Thanx, Bob

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2009, 10:15:28 PM »
Hi, Bob

I posted it pretty quickly, So if you don't understand some of it let me know, Did you get the PM I sent. ?

Chip
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2009, 10:46:04 PM »
Hi Chip,
OK, I found the info sheet that came with the Xylotex steppers and drive box. It says,"
The STEP impulse must be an ACTIVE HIGH signal. The DIR line must be stable 200 nanoseconds BEFORE AND AFTER the rising edge of the STEP line. The STEP signal should be high for a minimum of 2 nanoseconds." (capitals theirs). It also goes on to specify the step and dir pins, which I have correct.
So, with that in mind, what I did was enable the Sherline pulse, make sure I had the other stuff correct, and try the steppers. No change.
I don't know what the info sheet means about the dir line being stable 200 nanoseconds before and after, etc., and I don't know if there's a setting for that, but one thing to remember is that everything worked perfectly yesterday, and I made no changes to the pins/dirs/low actives, or anything else. It ran a program, finished, returned home when I clicked on Go To Z, and then started acting up when I tried to jog the z axis up.
Still baffled, Bob
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2009, 10:47:12 PM »
Also, I didn't get your PM, that is, nothing came to my email address. Are they somewhere else?
Bob