Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 10:57:18 AM

Author Topic: Buzzing steppers  (Read 26923 times)

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Buzzing steppers
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2009, 04:40:24 PM »
Bob, this may have been asked before, but how is the controller hooked to Mach? Parallel port? If so, do you have a straight through cable or a printer cable?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2009, 04:54:04 PM »
Bob,
1. The pulse signal out of the PP
2. The signal at the BOB input termnal
3. The signal at BOB ouput termnal
4. The signal at the drive input terminal
5. The signal at the drive output treminal """"caution do not do unless you really
know what your doing as you can short and blow a drive """""""" but before you get
to this one, i think, if there is a problem, you will have found it and thus no need

Scope displays can vary depending on adjustments, make sure the probes are calibrated / adjusted.
If they have a scope they will know what to do and how to interpret.

See attach:
RICH

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »
I changed the ports/pins and that changed which motors were acting up. Wouldn't that tell me the same thing?
Bob

Ok lets start over as I get easily confused :)
X axis asigned Pin 2 and 5
Y axis asigned Pin3 and 6
 So you jog X and X moves, jog Y and Y moves
Now you swap pin asignments in Mach
X is pin 3 and 6
Y is pin 2 and 5
So you jog X and Y moves and jog Y and X moves
 if its a software problem the  the bad pulses would still be coming out the Y axis which now physically moves the X axis and it would now become bad
Is that what happened?

Hood
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2009, 06:49:51 PM »
Brett -- the controller, which I have been calling a drive box, is hooked up to the pc with a printer cable through the printer port. It was going from the pc to an opto BOB, then to the controller, but I bypassed the BOB.
Rich -- If I can get someone over here I will show them your instructions.
Hood -- Yes, when I switched the pins from the x to the y, the problem switched from the x to the y, and visa versa. I concluded therefore that I could eliminate the motors and the PC as the problems, and was left with the BOB and controller. When I bypassed the BOB that left the controller as the major suspect, although I guess the pc or software could somehow be corrupted. Is there a way to check that?
Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2009, 07:01:41 PM »
Its getting late here again and my brain is working at 1% of the normal 2% it is usually at but dont see how swapping pins in Mach could eliminate motors from being a problem but the drive still being a suspect. If you swap pin asignment in Mach all you are really doing is swapping which axis will jog when you jog with the keys. For example if you Jog X with right arrow and you now change the pin asignment so X connects to the pins that the Y axis is on and vice versa it would mean pressing the right arrow would now jog the Y axis, I think ;).
Hood
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2009, 07:24:27 PM »
 With electronics, I sometimes feel like a "pig staring at a wristwatch", as my grandpa used to say. But my thinking is this: if I switch a path that I know is working to a motor that has a problem, and that motor runs fine, then I figure that the problem can't be the motor. It doesn't tell me too much about what part of the bad paths are bad, but I think it tells me that the motors are good. Does that make sense? (By "path", I mean the electronic signal coming from the pc, through the controller, and arriving at a motor.)
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »
Hood,
By the way, please don't stay up on my account. This will get solved in time, and you have been very generous with your time. And I am grateful. Go to bed.
Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2009, 07:29:30 PM »
No probs, hope you can get a scope as that will definitely be the way to get the answer. I couldnt do without my scope now, they are so easy to use and tell you so much I just dont know how I managed without one :)
Hood
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2009, 07:38:26 PM »
Watch out, Hood, the next thing you know you'll be having to teach me how to use a scope, too.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2009, 07:52:13 PM »
Ha ha if I can teach myself in a few mins then I am sure you will manage :)
Hood