Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:45:05 AM

Author Topic: Windows 7/Parallel Port Crash-- Fix  (Read 18314 times)

Windows 7/Parallel Port Crash-- Fix
« on: September 05, 2018, 10:39:19 AM »
A recent Windows 7 security update has affected those who use Mach3 and Mach4 with a parallel port connection. Basically, when the parallel port is used to control your machine it "takes over" the operating system and the new update does not like it, so it crashes the whole system. The following is a fix that does not require you to uninstall any updates or upgrade to an external motion controller. These are still valid options, but this is quick, easy, and should have you back up and running in no time. Here are the instructions, which I'll break down for you below:

Go into command prompt with administrator rights and paste and add the below registers.

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverride /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

reg add "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management" /v FeatureSettingsOverrideMask /t REG_DWORD /d 3 /f

Restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

(You do not have to change MinVmVersionForCpuBasedMitigations.)

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4073119/protect-against-speculative-execution-side-channel-vulnerabilities-in

You can follow along with these instructions at our support video here: https://youtu.be/C_O6TQhgMlA

1.) Go to your start menu and start typing 'cmd'. The command prompt (or cmd) option should appear right away. Right click and select 'Run as Administrator.' You need to be using an administrator account as well.

2.) Once you've opened the command prompt and see 'Administrator' along the top, you're almost there. Copy the first line that starts with 'reg add'. Right click in the command window and select 'Paste'. Then hit your 'enter' key.

3.) Repeat the previous step with the second line of code: copy and then paste into the command prompt window on the next line. Hit 'enter'.

4.) You should received a successful message after each line. If you see an error message regarding your access being denied, you should double check that you are logged in to an account with administrative privileges and that you are running the command prompt as an administrator (see step 1).

5.) Restart your computer.

6.) Open Mach3 and get to work.

7.) Happy CNCing!

Thank you to MachMotion for sharing this fix with us.
-Bryanna
Newfangled Solutions Helpdesk: http://support.machsupport.com
YouTube Support Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/MachSupportOfficial
Re: Windows 7/Parallel Port Crash-- Fix
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2018, 11:18:03 AM »
Thank you so much for a such a detailed fix. I will try. Thank you again!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 09:03:50 AM »
HELLI , WHAT CAN I DO IF THE I DO IT AND THE ERROR STILL COME?????
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 11:55:35 AM »
Bryanna, thanks for doing the research on this for the community.   I just tried it on 2 ailing machines and it cleared them right up!!
Now, as you said, back to work :)
WNettle
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2019, 10:04:25 AM »
Hello, I live in The Netherlands (Europe) and also here the Win7 updates made my computer crash. The above solution does resolve my problem. All important Win7 updates can now be installed. Thanks for the good work.
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2020, 06:09:05 AM »
Quick question, I did the above alteration to windows, but now cannot get Mach3 rest button to work.
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 12:26:10 PM »
When you use the cmd how do you get admin rights. When i right click i dont have that option only have mark, copy, paste, select all, scroll, and find
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2021, 09:04:06 AM »
When you use the cmd how do you get admin rights. When i right click i dont have that option only have mark, copy, paste, select all, scroll, and find

It sounds like you are right clicking in the Command window (once CMD has been opened).

Locate the Cmd.exe or one of its shortcuts (I found mine at C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe)
Right Mouse Button (RMB) on the Command Prompt icon(cmd.exe)  - mine's a black square with a grey border - you should see 'Run as Administrator' as an option. Click that and you should be OK.

This post fixed my crashes and I'd hate for others to miss out!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 06:18:57 AM »
I super excited of this solution. It is perfectly working for me too. Windows 7 32Bit with parallel port (LPT). Thank you so much!
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2022, 11:24:53 AM »
I just tried this fix but when I attempt to drop the files into the cmd it tells me the system cannot find the path specified.  Has anyone encountered this?