Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:10:50 AM

Author Topic: How do I reverse the x-axis direction of travel?  (Read 52643 times)

How do I reverse the x-axis direction of travel?
« on: July 15, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »
When I use my right arrow to jog my x-axis, the table moves from right to left towards the motor in an x-minus direction. Can I reverse this in Mach2?

Hood

Re: How do I reverse the x-axis direction of travel?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2006, 02:38:14 AM »
Its been a long time since I used Mach2 so not sure exactly where it is but there is a setting for reversing the motor but just not sure where it is. You can reverse the motor by changing the Direction Low active setting, either check it or remove the check.
Hood

BTW is that not the right direction its travelling anyway? remember its the tool that is going positive or negative when you move an axis.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2006, 12:27:55 PM »
I hink my first statement was in error. As the router is traveling away from the x-axis motor the counter is going into minus numbers. Sorry about that.  I'm totally new to this and just getting the machine started up. The other strange thing is that although I'm set up for inch units, the DRO counts much faster than the actual inches traveled.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:32:30 PM by Bagpipes »

Hood

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2006, 12:38:30 PM »
I dont know which side of the table your motor is so cant say whether its right or wrong. What is your setup? is it like a mill or like a gantry? ie does the table move X and Y and tool stay still or is it the tool that moves X and Y and the table stays still?
If the tool is going from left to right in relation to the workpiece and the DRO is increasing it is correct. If the DRO is decreasing it is wrong.

Hood

Hood

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2006, 12:41:36 PM »
For your DRO counting much faster than distance travelled its probably you have the wrong steps per unit in the motor tuning. If you go to the settings page you should see a button for setting steps per unit, press this, follow the prompts and it should set you up with the correct steps per unit.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2006, 03:00:36 PM »
Here the way the axes are set up right now according to Mach2

BTW many thanks for the pointers on changing the steps/unit. I will monkey with that today!

Hood

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2006, 06:07:42 PM »
Yes OK its a gantry router so it is the tool that moves and not the table, so the X is actually the wrong way. What you need to do is find the setting for reversing the motor. As I said its been a while since I had Mach2 Installed so I cant remember where it is or actually what it is. I am not sure if there is a specific setting for reversing or whether its just the low active you need to check or uncheck, you will just have to look through the settings from the config menu.
 Also you wont find the set steps button i mentioned in my previous post, sorry, I forgot it was Mach2 you were using, its only in Mach3 I think. You will have to work out the steps per unit yourself by TPI of ballscrew, steps of motor, drive stepping and motor steps per rev.
 Incidentaly why are you using Mach2? might be the time to install Mach3 and try it out, you can have Mach2 and 3 on the same computer so if you find Mach2 is better you can keep it, but I think once you have tried Mach3 you will stick with it ;)

Hood
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2006, 06:24:16 PM »
I'm only using Mac2 because the K2 people thought it was a better (more stable) option. From what I can tell on this forum, Mach3 is well established and well supported, so I am going to change to 3. In fact, maybe I should do that before I spend much time on the set steps.

Hood

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2006, 06:32:04 PM »
Definitely, if you dont have the machine set up properly now is the time to shift over.
Hood

Offline Leeway

•  149 149
    • View Profile
    • LeeWay Workshop, LLC
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2006, 05:32:53 AM »
Now thats a move in the right direction.  ;D
Lee