Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 08:31:48 AM

Author Topic: Error messages  (Read 7281 times)

Error messages
« on: December 28, 2008, 10:59:32 PM »
Am having 2 error messages I don't understand:
1.) When I try to run a project I get an immediate Limit Switch Triggered message, and even though I have set up the limit switch override, when I Reset the error message keeps coming back. This happens in spite of the fact that I'm nowhere near a limit switch, and I can jog everywhere without it happening;
2.) Interspersed with the Limit Switch Triggered messages noted above, I'm getting Too Fast for Pulley...Using Max. messages. I'm using a 1/8th inch bit @ 20,000 RPM, only cutting .05 into the material, which is soft plywood, and running at 30 inches per minute. How could that be too fast for a pulley, and how would Mach know how much stress is on the pulleys in the first place?
Thanks again, Bob

Offline Chip

•  2,055 2,055
  • Gainesville Florida USA
    • View Profile
Re: Error messages
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 12:34:17 AM »
Hi, Bob

Q1. Try setting the Debounce value to 2000 in Config, General Configuration page see Pic below.

Q2. The pulley/spindle is just a warning I think, There must be a setting error in spindle pulleys page, haven't worked with it much hear.

Let us now.

Chip
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 12:36:18 AM by Chip »
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2008, 12:49:18 PM »
OK, I'll give it a try....what is debounce, by the way?
Bob
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 12:51:56 PM »
Re: the possibility of a settings error in the spindle/pulleys page, I haven't done anything there -- the spindle is not connected to the pc. I turn it on and off manually.
Thanks, Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 02:01:20 PM »
Deboounce is basically the length of time Mach will see a signal before it acts on it. If you have switches that physically bounce or have noise in the wiring of these switches Mach will see it as a switch being triggered, by setting the debounce higher you are telling Mach to wait for a longer period of signal before it acts on it, that way your short burts are not acted upon by Mach and only a true activation of the switch will be seen. Ideally you want the debounce set to zero and to achieve that you need to have properly shielded wires from the switches, avoid routing the wires near others that carry higher voltages and if its physical bounce then you need better quality switches.

Your pulley issue could be that you have the spindle relays enabled and as such Mach thinks its in control of the spindle so looks at the pulley speeds and gives you the error.
Hood
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 02:04:28 PM by Hood »
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 03:22:00 PM »
Well, it seems that the debounce adjustment has worked -- I've run a program and have had no Limit Switch Triggered messages. For the record, though, all of the limit switch wiring is shielded and grounded, and I've covered the break out box with tin foil, so it seems that the system is very sensitive.
I've checked the spindle/pulleys page and changed all the pulley speeds to 20,000.  They were all set at 2,000 to 8,000, but I think Mach arrived at those figures itself, as I didn't enter those amounts during set up. Is that going to hurt anything?
Thanks, Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »
Nope but didnt think Mach would even look unless you had the spindle control enabled in Mach.
 Hood
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2008, 04:29:08 PM »
Well, I don't think I do, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. When I go to CONFIG, SPINDLE PULLEYS, I see one page with metrics for various pulleys, which are the ones I changed to 20,000 previously. However, I see that they have changed back to their original settings (Pulley #1, 0-1000RPM, ratio 1, Pulley #2, 0-2000RPM, ratio 1, Pulley #3, 0-4000RPM, ratio 1, etc.) These appear to be different belt locations on a variable speed spindle run by Mach, which is why they changed back.
When I go to Function CONFIG, Spindle Calibration and Testing, I see a PID or 0.25, 1, 0.3, and I don't know what that means or how they got there. Do these need to be changed?
Bob

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2008, 04:37:47 PM »
Its on Config, Ports and Pins, Spindle Setup. See if you have taken the tick out of the Disable box for spindle relays.
Hood
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2008, 06:27:34 PM »
Bingo. Hood, you sure know your stuff. That's about the fifth problem you've solved for me. Thanks again.
Bob