Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 12:32:42 PM

Author Topic: My homemade cnc router  (Read 10443 times)

Offline fng

•  3 3
    • View Profile
My homemade cnc router
« on: March 01, 2009, 04:53:30 PM »
This is my first cnc project. I have been reading and buying parts for the last year and I finally finished it a couple weeks ago. So far I have been pleased with speed and the accuracy, +/-.001 on a 5" circle which is far better than my projects require. I figured I would show off my machine here because none of my friends seem to care about what I have accomplished with this machine. The specs are: 2HP bosch router,495 OZ-IN nema 23 steppers, nokia cell tower 54V 28A power supply ($5 at local scrapyard), G203v drivers, G100 motion controller (soon to be smooth stepper), enco 5/8-8 lead screws, homemade dual oil impregnated bronze lead screw nuts on each axis, 20mm supported linear rails on all axis, 42" X  30" Y 9" Z travel. 15in Elo kiosk touchscreen control panel (fabricated from breaker panel covers),  Cherry point of sale keyboard with 42 programmable buttons and it also has a credit card slot that I am thinking about using different color coded magnetic stripe cards to load programs instead of a barcode scanner. It has a RF remote control and has voice activated software (E-speaking) so I can talk to it and tell it to load programs, G-code commands and such, alot of people will talk to their machines (mostly swear at it) but mine answers back! ;D I have some T-slot aluminum that I am going to use for the table so i can use coolant when cutting aluminum. After I get the table done I figured I might as well recirculate the coolant through the copper coil around the router and through a dirtbike radiator with computer fans on it to keep the router cool. There is still alot of cosmetic work to be done on it but it is fully functional.

This mirror frame  is one of the first projects I cut on the router. I etched the back of mirror using a vinyl sticker I cut and a sandblaster.

Here is a slide show of how I made the cnc http://www.fastvette4u.com/cnc
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 02:40:49 PM by fng »
Re: My homemade cnc router
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 05:54:28 PM »
You've done a VERY fine job there and you are to be commended on your accomplishments.
Your friends evidently do not understand the complexity of the project or they would be impressed as well.
Thanks for posting your work, you are an inspiration.
RC

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 05:59:36 PM »
Excellent job you have done. May I ask how you cut the vinyl?

Just fantastic and thanks for sharing-

Dave

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline fng

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:27:30 PM »
Hi budman68, after trying to convert an old blueprint plotter that had issues, I decided to just buy a vinyl cutter from ebay for $400. It will cut up to 48" wide and as long as your roll of vinyl is. The machine has already paid for itself making signs for people. I got a deal going with the local scrapyard guy that I make him signs and he gives me aluminum and other cool stuff he has laying around, it works out sweet. I used the vinyl cutter to make the flames on my control panel, I just painted it silver first, put the sticker on it then painted it black and removed the sticker. I also used it for the cycle start,feed hold and stop buttons on the control panel.

Offline budman68

•  2,352 2,352
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:13:02 PM »
Excellent, maybe I can contact you if I ever need a sign  :)

Dave
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Just because I'm a Global Moderator, don't assume that I know anything !

Dave->    ;)

Offline fng

•  3 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:21:28 PM »
Excellent, maybe I can contact you if I ever need a sign  Smiley

Dave

Yeah, let me know what you need an we can work something out ;D

Brian

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,198 9,198
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 07:31:17 AM »
Brilliant work there Brian. Incidentally my friends just look at me and smile if I mention CNC - They think I am nuts, perhaps they are right.

Tweakie.

(Your workshop looks about as tidy as mine does).
PEACE