Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 05:47:52 AM

Author Topic: Voltmeter  (Read 3832 times)

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
Voltmeter
« on: February 01, 2011, 05:41:01 PM »
Sorry if this subject is not allowed here since it is not Mach related but there are a lot of knowledgeable people here and I thought someone may have an answer

I have this voltmeter (pic attached) and the probes at the end of each test wire are always coming off and it is very annoying and dangerous sometimes

I have try many ways to stick them together with no success (hot glue, duct tape, construction adhesive and various glues) They always come off because it seems that nothing sticks to the probes.

Anyone has a suggestion?
Nicolas
Re: Voltmeter
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2011, 05:44:20 PM »
get a new set
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2011, 07:15:02 PM »
The probe wires must be soldered to the probe tips to be of any value whatsoever.  Glue and tape are useless patches.
With that said, to solder them, you must be able to disassemble the tip from the plastic handle. Some tips are screwed into the plastic some are press-fit. The repaired wire must run through the plastic handle for best results.
It may be significantly easier to buy new probe leads.
Some meters are so inexpensive, that buying a whole new meter may be your best bet.

Thanks,
Bill
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 07:16:57 PM by wvancura »
Pixel Tamer

Offline kolias

•  1,154 1,154
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2011, 07:52:03 PM »
The probe wires must be soldered to the probe tips to be of any value whatsoever.  Glue and tape are useless patches.
With that said, to solder them, you must be able to disassemble the tip from the plastic handle. Some tips are screwed into the plastic some are press-fit. The repaired wire must run through the plastic handle for best results.
It may be significantly easier to buy new probe leads.
Some meters are so inexpensive, that buying a whole new meter may be your best bet.

Thank you Bill for your input

I will see if I can fix them the way you described. I have searched to buy new leads but I cant find locally any to fit.

I also know that they are inexpensive but I find mine easy to read and operate.

Nicolas

Thanks,
Bill
Nicolas

Offline rickw

•  110 110
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:29 PM »
I would try and solder them in place. All you really want is a good connection for the probe. Make sure you strip enough to get good contact before soldering.

Rick

Offline Tweakie.CNC

•  9,196 9,196
  • Super Kitty
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2011, 02:28:14 AM »
I vote for getting a new set of probes.
(As previously mentioned it may be cheaper to get a complete new meter which comes with probes).

Tweakie.
PEACE