Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 01:32:50 AM

Author Topic: need help creating code with L cam  (Read 3348 times)

need help creating code with L cam
« on: December 22, 2008, 03:12:35 PM »
i am trying to cut a bunch of flanges with my mill and i'd like to generate the program using LCam.  i can get the pocket function to work on circles however  i have some slots with round ends in the flange as well and it won't pocket these.  i have attached the DXF i'm using.  when i move the start point of the pocket it will pocket some of it, but it will never get all of it.  i can do two seperate halves but not one complete pocket.  the interconnection points on the cad program are set to 1e^-5 and the setting for loading on lcam are set to .01.  i tried .001 and .005 to no avail.  any help is greatly appreciated.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
Re: need help creating code with L cam
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2008, 09:12:54 PM »
SDConcepts,
Same as you I can easily get the circles pocketed. Now to try finding out what was wrong with the slots i just duplicated your slot, only one and worked on that in Lazycam Mill.
As you can see in the attached i changed the start point to the lead in, cutter size is .125" and allowed a lead in of .2"
, zero tolerance. Note that the start point on the profile is in between / half way on the tangent to both half circles.
See attached pic and look at my arrows. Will this work when you a whole bunch on an angle.....don't know.
Attached for what it's worth,.......leaving some fun for you,
RICH
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2008, 11:16:58 PM »
Rich i will try that in the morning.  also what does the overhang do?  its funny but no matter what i did when i moved the start point it would either pocket half or not pocket at all.  i was trying to do the pocket with a 3/8" cutter though.  this plate that i'm cutting is 1/2"thich 304 ss.  so it should be alot of fun.

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 06:55:18 AM »
SDConcepts,
No definition for it, I am only a novice at Lazycam Mill, but from playing around in the Turn part
of LazyCam, i picked up a lot. Take  a look at the videos. When I find a problem I just  reduce the file to something simple or similar and start hacking away watching the software behavior. Knowing what to expect you can then try out the different inputs and come away with you own definition. I may be incorrect in saying this,but in order to do a pocket, apply compensation logic to it. LazyCam reminds me of the Minolta camera comercial "It has a mind of it's own". ;)
RICH