Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:40:22 PM

Author Topic: Milling arcs and circles on a cylinder  (Read 4062 times)

Milling arcs and circles on a cylinder
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:52:39 AM »
Hi,

I'm a new Mach3 user and need to mill arcs and circles from the surface of a cylinder.  I have a rotary table connected to my machine as the A axis.  According to the documentation, G2 and G3 work in with X&Y , X&Z or Y&Z planes.  So it doesn't appear I can program the motion directly.  I have been exploring "Formula Axis Correction" to map Y motion to A rotation and am running into enough problems (these are described in another post) that I'm thinking this is not the right way.   I'm guessing someone must have done this before, but haven't been able to find any mention of it from searching the forum.  Has anyone done this before?

Is Formula Axis Correction a new feature?  It seems kinda buggy (or perhaps I'm just trying to use it in an inappropriate way).

Thanks in advance.

David

Re: Milling arcs and circles on a cylinder
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 07:31:42 PM »
The way to get around this is to change the A axis to be the Y axis and scale it so that it is the write distance on the outside of the cylinder by playing with the steps per unit. This is not a great way to do it but it will get it done... The right way is to break the arc into little lines and output it as X A moves.
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

dfurlao

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2006, 04:02:45 PM »
Is there a way to map the Y axis to the A axis using the software?  Otherwise I assume you have to switch the cabling?

Thanks.

Dan.
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2006, 08:22:08 PM »
Change the ports and pins settings ...
Fixing problems one post at a time ;)

www.newfangledsolutions.com
www.machsupport.com

dfurlao

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2006, 09:04:24 PM »
Thanks for answering such a noob question,  I should have known that  ::).  New to all of this.