Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:26:54 AM

Author Topic: ports and pins  (Read 28033 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: ports and pins
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2008, 05:04:02 PM »
OK looks like you have two wires (red and black) going into each of the connections at 15 and the 5V beside it. That is not correct as far as I can see although I do not know what is at the other end of them.
 If these wires (red black ) are the two wires on a switch then heres what you do, connect the red of one switch to the 5V then the black of that switch goes to the red of the next switch and the black of that second switch goes into 15
Hood
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2008, 05:13:46 PM »
the two wires that you see are actually one wire -- the shielded cable i used had the 2 red and black in it, and i soldered them together at every connection point.
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2008, 05:14:44 PM »
those are the limit switch wires - just think of each red/black combo as one wire.
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2008, 05:16:23 PM »
the green wire that's next to them is the ground wire that i soldered to the ground prong of the 3-prong wall plug, and that is plugged into the house wiring. the other two wires in the plug are not connected to anything.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2008, 05:18:09 PM »
ok so you have one wire going from the 5v to the first wire on the first switch, then the second wire from the first switch going to the first wire on the next switch and so on until all switches are connected and the the wire that is left goes to pin 15?
 If that is what you have then it is correct.

You should really be connecting the ground to you control cabinets chasis but looks like you are just set up on the bench at the moment so that would do.

Hood
« Reply #25 on: December 19, 2008, 05:27:31 PM »
yes, i have the switches connected that way, and i have checked them for continuity. both that wire and the ground are continuous, and i can trip any limit switch to break continuity. so it may be that i have the bob wired correctly -- do you think that the mistake might be in the ports/pins section in mach3? i'm going to bring that up so i can refresh my memory on what i have done there, and report back.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
ok attach your xml, you will need to copy it from the Mach3 folder to your desktop and then rename it, call it rabphxaz.xml and then attach it  to your reply and I will have a look.
Hood
« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 05:36:56 PM »
ok, i went to ports/pins, input signals, and i have enabled x++, x--, y++, y--, and z++, z--, all to port #1, pin #15. down further i see that Estop is enabled, but no ports or pins are chosen. in the Output Signals tab, i have output #1, port #1 enabled.
« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 05:38:05 PM »
ships pasing in the night again. i don't know what an xml is.

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 05:44:09 PM »
OK that sounds correct for your limits but dont think you need the output unless you have something connected to it.
 Anyway the xml is the file that holds all of your settings and you will find it in the Mach3 folder. There will be several there, one for mill, one for turn etc. If you are using the standard Mill profile then the one you want to attach is Mach3Mill.xml. To save you renaming it just email it to me.
Hood