General CNC Chat > Show"N"Tell ( What you have made with your CNC machine.)

Another Turner's Cube.

(1/13) > >>

Tweakie.CNC:
I have made many things with the use of CNC that I would otherwise not have the necessary skills to make. The Lithophanes and Wood Carvings I have made are good examples of this.

So with the inspiration of Marcel, Poppabears 'Magic Cubes' thread and N4NV's reference to 'Digital Machinist' I set about making this Mini Turner's Cube (it is this size because that was the size of the alloy plate that I had).

I certainly do not have the necessary lathe skills so this was made on my recently acquired Boxford mill. In the end I used the Mach Wizards 'Circular pocket' and 'Cut circle' (thanks to Brian Barker and Kiran) for the code, which only required slight modification. The tools used were a 4mm slot drill for the pockets and a 10mm 45 degree undercut (dovetail) to free the center cube. A bit of polishing and it's finished.

Controversial perhaps, but something this exercise has shown me is that, in the fullness of time, CNC programing skills will replace the traditional trade skills for almost all manufactured items. Is that a good thing or a bad thing ?.

Tweakie.

Tweakie.CNC:
Sorry, I missed a photo in the above sequence.

This is the point where courage or faith in your programing is required. Total conviction.

Tweakie.

Overloaded:
That's nifty Tweakie......really nifty.
And I believe your last statement is correct.
After all, the car replaced the horse and the gun replaced the sticks n' stones.

Thanks,
RC

RICH:
tweakie,
That is sweet and nice pictures as they show how you did it.
So on the last cutting of the inside cube, are you doing anything to hold it in place of just hoping it drops
away from the cutter?
RICH

Tweakie.CNC:
Hi Rich,

Nothing was holding the center cube in place, it did just drop away. I was holding my breath though.

Tweakie.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version