Hello Guest it is April 18, 2024, 11:41:10 PM

Author Topic: Parallel port trouble!  (Read 4044 times)

Parallel port trouble!
« on: December 01, 2008, 04:15:38 AM »

Hi there!

We're testing Artsoft's excellent CNC system, having initially downloaded Mach2 (we're testing the program before purchase of Mach3). Mach is installed and appears to run well on our computer, but no pulses currently reach the parallel port despite being assigned the correct port address.

Is the program blocked somehow from reaching the port by Windows XP, and is this a common problem found by new users of Mach?

Any thoughts much appreciated!

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel port trouble!
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2008, 04:56:37 AM »
Firt off you are best to download Mach3 as you  wil get more help, it to can be used in Demo mode.
Only thing you need to do is make sure you have the correct address and then also make sure you hae each axis enabled with the correct pins set up and the thing most miss is the port you are using needs o be entered as well.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2008, 07:31:45 PM »
check your cable as well.I just went through a bad cable issue.

Offline jimpinder

•  1,232 1,232
  • Wakefield, West Yorks, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 05:01:55 AM »
The Mach 3 you download is identical to the one you buy, and will operate a fully functioning CNC system. I am still using the downloaded version. There are restrictions, of course, for example, only 500 lines of code at a time can be run, and I think there are other shortcomings with threading. All that happens when you buy a licence is that these restrictions are taken off. I don't think you even have to diisturbe the downloaded version.

Download Mach 3 with the driver and install in as per the instructions. There is no restriction in XP and if the driver installs properly it should work fully. I would use the latest lockdown version.

I did come across a couple of weeks ago a restriction in the Bios of my particular computer, where the LPT1 port had for some reason, become disabled. I switched it back on and everything was fine again. I would try the computer with an old fashioned LPT1 printer (if anyone still has one). If the printer works, there is no reason why Mach3 will not.

The leaning at the moment is towards a Smooth Stepper, which has a USB connection to your PC, and controls your machine. I suppose this brings us into the modern era - but - no - the old system still does work.
Not me driving the engine - I'm better looking.
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 07:08:16 PM »

Thank you for your help and advice, guys! We've downloaded Mach3 now and are making good steady progress - its a real learning curve!