Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 06:28:01 AM

Author Topic: Lathe control panel  (Read 5222 times)

Lathe control panel
« on: November 27, 2008, 08:25:05 AM »
Greetings all,

I've just about finished the retrofit of a Denford ORAC to MACH3 control and updated electronics. I'm trying to find some inspiration for a layout of a 'manual' control panel, similar to the Harrison Alph330. I've spent a few days trawling these forums in the hope of finding a photo or two, but no luck. And the annoying thing is, I'm sure I've come across this information before, thinking 'I'll remember where I found that' Doh! :(

Does anyone have a link to such a resource?

Many thanks,
Frogeye
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 08:28:44 AM by frogeye »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Lathe control panel
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 10:41:38 AM »
Heres a pic of the one I did for my computurn, its got a 17inch touchscreen, MPG, Touchpad and the buttons. Probably nothing like the Harrison though ;D

Hood

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 01:51:26 PM »
That's nice, Hood. Good job. I gotta get me one of those keyboards. I see them on Ebay all the time for next to nothing. Are you satisfied with it? Looks like a finger scanner on the bottom right. I doubt that's what it really is, but it looks like one anyhow.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 01:54:04 PM »
Looks good!
what MPG did you use? I think I've read somewhere that 500 cpr are recommended if your trying to achieve manual control through the MPG.  That'll be another project - to get the feel of a manual handwheel....

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 02:13:18 PM »
Sam
 Keyboards are good, print tends to wear off buttons you use all the time but other than that they are fine. The finger sccanner is in fact a touchpad like you get on laptops nowadays instead of a mouse, I actually prefer a trackball and I will be fitting a nice storm IP65 stainless keyboard and trackball combo soon, it was a free gift from a friend who saved it from the skip at his work, see pic :)

frogeye
 It is a Nemicon 100 cpr and works fine for the use I put it to, I only ever use MPG for jogging and touching off and only very occasionally will I use it for a quick facing op.

Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2008, 03:40:25 PM »
Found it!  And it was nowhere near where I thought it might be!!
http://www.cnccookbook.com/MTLatheCNCPanel.htm
Very smart keyboard Hood, lucky tinker ;D. Looks the biz too!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 03:55:59 PM »
That's a nice looking board. Chip/oil/water proof???
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 04:34:05 PM »
Sam
 The IP 65 rating stands for,
First 6 = Totally protected against dust ingress.
Second 5 = Protected against low pressure water jets from any direction.

So should be perfect for a CNC :)

Frogeye
 Looks like a nice setup :)

Hood