Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 12:47:21 AM

Author Topic: g code  (Read 3745 times)

Offline greg

•  66 66
    • View Profile
g code
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:54:32 PM »
i have some mechanical drawings i would like to turn into g code. is there a way i can scan the drawings & convert into g code without having to redraw? thanks greg :)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: g code
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 02:10:12 PM »
Not really as you will lose accuracy but there are options I think in LazyCAM for doing bitmaps and the like.
Hood

Offline da21

•  87 87
    • View Profile
    • M-Machine
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2008, 03:32:26 AM »
i'd go along with Hood ,
unfortunately experience has shown me , it's better to redraw , although a scanned image for sheet parts does help , using scan2cad applications , the time it takes to scan and then check etc , i find it quicker now just to redraw it , and just bite the bullet on the time issue .

shout if you need any help etc

Dave

Offline bowber

•  216 216
  • Kirkby Stephen,Cumbria, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2008, 11:20:18 AM »
Redraw every time, by the time you've messed with it and then found something not quite right, deleted unwanted lines, relayered etc you could have redrawn the item.

Not quite the same but I'm a sign maker and I get customers coming in with rubbish artwork for their logo's all the time, I used to try scanning it and then vectorising it with different programs, I always ended up spending more time cleaning up the vector file that it takes to draw a new one + the more you practice the faster you get, I knock out quite complicated artwork now in very little time.

When I was a practicing (I'm still no better ;D) engineer and I was drawing a lot of the time with CAD I could redo a simple parts drawing in a few minutes (we had a lot of old hand drawn std components that needed to be put onto CAD)

Steve

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 04:52:45 PM »
Greg,
Redraw it. If the part  is small in scale it may be an assist to you to scan it in ( ie;with dimenesions) and scale it up in cad and redraw over it as the part with dimensions are there on one screen and saves a little neck twisting.
But other than that, redraw. All those fancy programs aren't worth the paper in pennies per ton which describes them in my opinion.
But, should you find one that works, which is less trouble than a redraw, let me and the industry out there know.
Just trying to save you some time. That's my nickle.
RICH