Hello Guest it is April 19, 2024, 03:02:58 PM

Author Topic: ViaCad  (Read 15123 times)

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
Re: ViaCad
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2008, 12:41:20 AM »
Keep in mind that polygonal lines are segmented. This may or may not be of any concern to you. If you have a profile with curves, segmented arcs are not ideal.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2008, 06:08:33 AM »
Keep in mind that polygonal lines are segmented. This may or may not be of any concern to you. If you have a profile with curves, segmented arcs are not ideal.

That appears to be something I ran into last night. Not sure what to do about it...but I'm not giving up. Always seems to be an answer or solution, just have to find it.

I noticed in one place where the polyline changed into about 75 bits of information in a place the size of a pencil eraser and adout the same rate of curvature if one was to 1/4 it.

Anyone got a suggestion to reduce this? 

Offline Graham Waterworth

•  2,672 2,672
  • Yorkshire Dales, England
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2008, 05:32:11 PM »
On some cam systems you can curve fit, this will produce arcs from many small lines to a approximation of the original.

Graham

Without engineers the world stops

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 07:27:41 PM »
Thanks!!!

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2008, 07:59:42 PM »
I think almost every software has it's own methods of madness. Some give options for exporting methods to different formats, while others may not. If you can convert your splines into nurbs, that might be of help. Exporting as an .IGES, .STL, 3dm, or solidworks file, might work. Usually when I find a method that works, I write it down, so as not to go through the madness to find the method again.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."

Offline TMan

•  15 15
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 08:28:46 AM »
Thanks Sam!

I've been spending a lot of time with the program. Trying different things, writing stuff down, just as suggested.

I'm moving forward.

Thanks Again for the help fellas!