Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 05:07:54 AM

Author Topic: Noob with SLOOOWW 3D Carving Speeds- HELP!!  (Read 5018 times)

Noob with SLOOOWW 3D Carving Speeds- HELP!!
« on: November 18, 2008, 09:36:56 AM »
Hi Guys,
   This is my first post so I hope I get it right. I am the proud new owner of a DynaCNC 4 x 4 Plasma/router combo with Servos and Mach3 ver 1.90(old, supplied with machine).
My Problem: Extremely slow(I think anyway) 3D contouring speeds. I recently finished a mantel carving of a outdoor scene that was approx 6" x 42" and took the better part of 12 hours to carve. While 3d carving the blended rate was between 20 and 40 ipm. While rough cutting in x/y it would get up to programed speeds of around 300 ipm. Code was generated by Vectric's Cut 3D, approx. 500,000 lines of code
   The axises where set at X: vel 300ipm acel 30ipm,  y: vel 300ipm acel 30, z: vel 100ipm acel 30. The z is set to the max that the machine will go, x & y can supposedly run at almost 800 ipm acel 30.  CV was on, CV feedrate off. Servos use 500 line encoders, X&y use 1870 steps, Z uses 20,000 steps.
I talked to the machine builder and he didn't think those speeds were out of line.
   I hope there are some 3D router guys that can tell me if 20-40 ipm is normal or not. If I can't speed this up to between 70 and 100 ipm I won't be able to turn 3D carving into a profitable venture.
Pulse speed was aprox 35,400, but for whatever reason the "reduced" light was lit????
  I would have posted the XML file but appartently I can't add attachments, Yet
Any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Mike
Re: Noob with SLOOOWW 3D Carving Speeds- HELP!!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:57:12 AM »
Here is my XML file if someone wants to take a look.
I surely would appreciate any help I can get to speed this machine up in 3D.

Thanks Again
Mike

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 11:15:53 AM »
Can you increase the Z acceleration and see if it makes a difference?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 11:40:19 AM »
Can you increase the Z acceleration and see if it makes a difference?

I have it set at max(30). According to machine builder this is the fastest it can run due to resonance(whatever that is) between Lead screw, servo motor and lead screw nut. I would try higher but that is the fastest the XML allows.
  He also mention that the new versions of Mach are not compatible with his controller. Does that make sense or has he not taken the time to set up his controller?

Thanks
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2008, 03:06:45 PM »
The xml will allow a lot faster than that on acell, I can slide it up to 280in/s/s. You wont get that but you may well get more than your 30 that you are at, might even pay to drop your rapids a bit so that your steppers will respond to a higher acell as you seem to be doing lots of short moves rapids wont be as important as acell.
Hood
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 04:45:29 PM »
The xml will allow a lot faster than that on acell, I can slide it up to 280in/s/s. You wont get that but you may well get more than your 30 that you are at, might even pay to drop your rapids a bit so that your steppers will respond to a higher acell as you seem to be doing lots of short moves rapids wont be as important as acell.
Hood

If you try the "z" axis slider, it will only let you got to about 105 velocity and 30 acell.  X&Y will let you go much higher but I think Z is my problem child.
  Is anyone get "actual" 3D contouring speeds in the 70-100 ipm range or is that to much to hope for??

Thanks Again
Mike

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:16 PM »
Ah yes sorry, never looked further than X and Y. Have you tried manually typing in say 60 for the Z acell and saving and trying?
Hood

Offline ger21

•  6,295 6,295
    • View Profile
    • The CNC Woodworker
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:17:20 PM »
Does the kernel speed limit accel speeds?
Gerry

2010 Screenset
http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM Dovetail and Box Joint software
http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html