Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 01:53:01 AM

Author Topic: Citation Steve's Race Car  (Read 10344 times)

Citation Steve's Race Car
« on: December 03, 2008, 06:54:58 AM »
This is the first of eight cars I am building.  It is a SCCA Formula Continental powered by a Ford Zetec engine.  Top speed is about 140mph at most of the tracks we race.  There are probably 5 manufacturers of these cars world wide.  The class is very similar to Formula Ford which is raced world wide and has it beginning in the late '60s.  For a driver heading to Indy, this would be step two or high school.

I started building cars in 1974 and I have produced well over 200 cars and have 14 national championships in the US and one in Britian.  In addition my shop turns out a line of products for racing world wide including racing differentials, brake systems (calipers and rotors), and other specialized suspension components. 

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: Citation Steve's Race Car
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 12:52:15 PM »
Wow Steve, that's nice. THe more pictures the better IMO.  I would love to take a Formula1 car through Charlotte.

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 01:24:43 PM »
Thats great!!  I race a shifter kart at the local club here in Las Vegas..  Never built one though..  That would be pretty cool..

Offline Sam

•  987 987
    • View Profile
    • hillbillyhilton.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:18:12 PM »
I would love to take a Formula1 car through Charlotte.
Might as well swing by Bristol, too. I mean.... while were dreaming and all.  :)
How many cars you have on-hand, Steve? I'm sure we can clear our calender for a week to go racing.  8)

Sounds like you have really had a great time racing. 200+ cars and 15 championships. Wow. That's definitely something to be proud of.
"CONFIDENCE: it's the feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation."
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 09:17:00 PM »
This is a picture of the front suspension and foot box area of the car.
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:19:15 PM »
This is a top view of the same area of the car.
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »
The whole thing.  This particular car finished second in the 2007 SCCA Nathional Championship run offs.  It was painted after these pictures were taken.  This thing represents months of time on my old Bridgeport.  I wish I had the Mach3 setup when I was doing this work.

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 10:54:32 PM »
Very Nice Steve, very nice. You said there top speed was around 140 MPH. Just wondering, how long does it take to get to that?

Brett
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
The car weighs 1200 lbs, wet and with driver.  This is the minimum weight for the class.  The engine produces 155.  It is a stock Ford Zetec as originally used in the Fiesta.

The real trick with these cars is not to slow down.  The car will pull 2.5 Gs laterally in corners and under braking.  The wings and other things generate about 750 lbs. down force at top speed. 

We are working on a variant of this car powered by a 1000cc sport bike engine.   The engines produce 175 to 190 hp and the car weight is down to 1000 lbs.  With theses cars wheel spin is an issue when accelerating out of slow corners.