Hello Guest it is March 28, 2024, 04:29:10 AM

Author Topic: Motor won't turn  (Read 4778 times)

Motor won't turn
« on: November 09, 2008, 04:46:22 AM »
Hi everybody!

I bought new motor drivers & simple BOB. I have used 3d-step almost 1,5 years. I tried to test new driver today but motor won't turn. I doubt that there is problems with enabling the driver. I have configured Mach3 and motor should be enabled on Output tab (Enable1= port 1, pin 14 and enable is checked) Step and Dir have been also configured. The only thing what is missing of BOB, is pull-up resistor-net for limits (I looked BOB schematic and noticed that it's not required for enable pin, enable pin 14 comes straight to the driver from LPT). Motor doesn't have holding torque when driver is powered. What to do next?

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: Motor won't turn
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 06:35:37 AM »
Check with a voltmeter that the enable and also step and direction are coming out of the parallel port then if they are go to the other end of the cable and check and then to the other side of the BOB.
Hood
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 11:32:36 AM »
I checked the pins with voltmeter, results are these:

Step = 4,78V
Dir = 4,78V
+5 = 5V
Enable = 0V

Enable stays in 0V no matter is the g-code running etc. Here's the schematic of the BOB: http://www.netikka.net/mikko.kuivamaki/bobv2.pdf (currently I don't have that 1K resistor net in BOB, still looking fo it)

For x-axis: Step pin 2, Dir pin 3, enable pin 14

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:44:58 AM »
Step should only see a voltage when you are jogging and it should not be anywhere near 5V. The reason for that is it is a pulse and depending on how fast it is pulsing will depend on how high a voltage you will see but I would expect 1 or less.
 Your Direction could be right but should change to zero if you jog the axis the other way so you can check that out.
 Your enable should show 5V when Mach is NOT in reset but you may have the active state wrong so check and see if it goes to zero when you change it.
Hood
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:01:11 PM »
There is no difference is Reset on or off. Enable shows very low voltage, <0,01V. I also checked other axes, results are strange:

Y step: 4,78V
Y dir: 0,07V
Enable: ~0V

Z step: 0,07V
Y dir: 0,07V
Enable: ~0V

EDIT:

I checked the A axis as well, enable shows 4,7V, Step and Dir = 0,4V. I connected motor here, now motor have normal holding torque but still I don't have a movement on motor. How the difference between these pins can be so big?

EDIT2:

Motor is turning when I checked the Max CL mode enabled? Motor turns only one direction. And the only working axis is the A ax
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 12:21:45 PM by mkuivama »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 01:18:10 PM »
OK it sounds like you may have your pins set wrong in Mach. Can you attach your xml and I will have a look. To attach your xml you will need to copy it first to the desktop then rename it and then attach via the additional options  tab on the reply page.
Hood
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 12:21:40 AM »
Hi! I'll send xml later, I'm at work at this moment. I started to look closer LPT connector and noticed that connector's pins are mirrored on pcb! So pin #1 is actually #13 and #14 is #25 etc.  ::) I don't know is this done by purpose but pins would be ok if connector is soldered from bottom of pcb. I think that BOB designer has done mistake here.
Can I change Mach pin order so I can use this BOB anyway?

Mikko
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:42:00 AM by mkuivama »

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:06:53 AM »
If the pins are indeed wrong then no you wont be able to change the pins in Mach to suit :( you could cut the cable and rewire so it is correct but that is a lot of trouble to go to, best thing would be to resolder the connector on the bob the correct way but just double and tripple check it is wrong before you do anything.

Hood
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 11:48:27 AM »
Hi! I'll send xml later, I'm at work at this moment. I started to look closer LPT connector and noticed that connector's pins are mirrored on pcb! So pin #1 is actually #13 and #14 is #25 etc.  ::) I don't know is this done by purpose but pins would be ok if connector is soldered from bottom of pcb. I think that BOB designer has done mistake here.
Can I change Mach pin order so I can use this BOB anyway?

Mikko

Good grief!  What BOB do you have?  That is a MAJOR screw-up!

Regards,
Ray L.
Regards,
Ray L.
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 12:46:55 PM »
I got this BOB pcb for free when I bought three professional stepperdrivers. Usually you should be able to trust the designer that he has done precice job.. That pin order-thing should be self-evident. But thanks anyway for replys!

Mikko