Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 02:03:29 AM

Author Topic: setup tutorial  (Read 2766 times)

setup tutorial
« on: October 27, 2008, 12:11:25 PM »
I am trying to set up my machine ,in particular soft limits per the setup tutorial. I end up with several questions .
I am attempting to use just 3 switches only.

Under "Homing parameters" I am assuming when referring to figure 11 they actually mean figure 12 [bottom of page]

In figure 12 the first column "reversed" first of all what does "reversed refer to ? secondly tutorials I have seen show X,Y,and Z enabled .

Z in the "softmax" column is zero and in the "soft min" column a negative value, is this correct ?

As the Z axis zero is at the upper limit of travel when the tool decends should the DRO be reading positive or negative levels ?

Lastly is the soft limits button always on when doing any machining operation or only on [operational] during jogging? 

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: setup tutorial
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 01:17:25 PM »
Mike, here is a little info I copied from another thread to help you some I hope.

Stick your left hand in front of you, point your thumb up, first finger ahead and second to the right. That is the +ve direction of the three axis (Thumb is z, first is y and second is X). Also remember that it is the tool direction and not the workpiece/table. so  on a mill, quill going up is Z+ve, table towards you is Y+ve and table to left is x +ve.

Not sure about the figures, haven't looked.

Reversed changes the direction the motors will go in for a command. If you tell your x to - and it moves +, you can fix that here.

That makes sense to me. Z home is usually as far away from the work as possible. Any time it gets closer it is going - and a - number is less than 0.

Negative IMO, but you can set it up to suit you.

It should be on at all times if that's what you want. If it is all set up right, you can leave softlimits on all the time and when referencing the axis Mach will know it can override that to ref.  :)

Brett

;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!