Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 03:42:23 AM

Author Topic: To Ramp, Or Not To Ramp. That Is the Question.... And Others...  (Read 9320 times)

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
Re: To Ramp, Or Not To Ramp. That Is the Question.... And Others...
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2008, 09:52:06 AM »
You'll be doing Crinkle Cut next !! ;D ;D :'(

One step ahead of you Jim, already done them ;D Had the feed almost there with the 40mm U Drill but just a tad too slow.
Hood
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2008, 02:27:35 PM »
In the lathe, with carbide inserts I always increase my feed to break up the chips. This works great for roughing,
but for finish cuts you don't have much choice, but the stringers aren't so course. Most of my stringy chips come from drilling
with large drills  ( up to 2 inch diameter) in stainless, these could take off a hand. >:(

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2008, 04:32:24 PM »
Ed, yes standard twist drills can be a real pain, on a drill press or a manual lathe you just stop feeding for a fraction then start again and that breaks the chip. Pecking does exactly the same but it can take a few goes before you get the depth of peck just right. I am starting to use U Drills now and they are the dogs dangly bits, thank goodness for eBay or I wouldnt be able to afford them.
Hood
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2008, 12:08:20 AM »
Hood,

What do you mean by a "U Drill" ?   ???

BTW, there is another drill peck cycle, don't know off hand what the gcode is,
 but you can set a short peck with a dwel l, instead of retract, which breaks up chips, and is faster.
  Works good if you don't have a real deep hole .  I've used it already, and know it works.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2008, 04:10:58 AM »
Like this Ed,  they are amazingly quick to drill with as you can get the spindle speeds way up and an added bonus is you can also use them to bore out  as well. Not sure if you are meant to do that but I do and they work great :)
Hood
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2008, 11:26:55 PM »
Hood,
OK, We call those carbide insert drills, has coolant thru. and pops out a disk when it breaks thru.
They are great, but expensive. :o

Enclosed pics of some tools I made for a production shop. The long one is a 4" or 4.5" diameter,apox 16" long insert drill with a .500" stub drill in the center.
It was used to plunge thru a steel forged yoke. Worked great. this was used in a verticle lathe,otherwise called a boring mill.
The other tools were used for boreing ,counter bore and champher all in one shot. saved on tool changes. These were used on a horizontal machinig center.
All were machined from 4140 pre hard.

Ed
Ed VanEss

Offline Hood

•  25,835 25,835
  • Carnoustie, Scotland
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2008, 02:03:02 PM »
No way I would have any U Drills if it wasnt for eBay, couldnt justify the cost as I dont do production work.

Some nice tools you have made there.

Hood