Hello Guest it is March 29, 2024, 04:22:40 AM

Author Topic: Which version of Vista ...?  (Read 4194 times)

Which version of Vista ...?
« on: September 09, 2008, 04:42:40 AM »
Which do you think is the most suitable version of Vista to use with Mach3?
For example is the HOME BASIC EDITION 32BIT DSP suitable for the application?
I just cant decide which to buy....
Regards,
giannis.

scottn

Re: Which version of Vista ...?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2008, 12:36:34 PM »
Hi Giannis,

Any 32-bit version should be fine.  If it's only going to run Mach, get the cheapest edition available, otherwise get the best version for whatever your other needs are...  :)

Thanks,

scott
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2008, 02:56:06 AM »
I'm running Vista Home Premium Edition on a Dell Quad-Core @ 2.g GHZ with 4G's. of memory without the slightest problem.
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 04:58:23 AM »
Finaly i bought and use vista home edition 32 bit.
But as i can see at the task manager --> performance, uses only one CPU at maximum power.
Is that a problem? Why doesn't it use both CPUs?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 09:12:38 AM »
Mach 3 is only ported (designed) to work with one processor. Therefore, it doesn't recognize any others regardless of how many there are.
The reason that I like using it, is that all of my other required system services files can and will be assigned by the BIOS to the other processors. In the beginning this was just an assumption on my part. It was after working with an Escalating Engineer at Microsoft on another problem, that the subject of CPU Utilization was broached. At this time I was informed that Vista was ported to multiple CPU systems to off load system service files to secondary processors. This is the reason that Multi-tasking is now possible whereas before with XP and previous versions it was implied but generaly not possible. At least not with the thought for speed of any kind. Personally I wouldn't run Vista on anything less than a Quad-core sysytem with a minimum  of 4gb's. of memory.