Hello Guest it is April 24, 2024, 04:20:15 AM

Author Topic: 2 General questions on G54 offset  (Read 3083 times)

2 General questions on G54 offset
« on: September 28, 2008, 08:40:03 PM »
Sorry for this novice question but am just getting started in making a CNC machine.  I haven't used the SW before, I have just read documentation.

1) If I want to make 2 copies of a part, I understand that I can make one copy, change to an offset coordinate systems for the next fixture with G54, regenerate the toolpath and then run again for the next part.  The question is do I have to manually intervene and change the coordinate systems between parts being cut or can I use scripts to just cut multiple copies from the start.  A little confused on how this works.

2) A related question: If I build a machine with 2 routers which are 5 inches apart in the Y direction holding different toolbits (for example a V-cutter and a straight bit) independently controlled Z axes as a 4th axis, how do I tell Mach 3 about the 5 inch offset when using the second router.  Do I need to use the G54 offset again or do I just tell Mach 3 about the 5 inch offset once, and then just knows how to deal with it? I plan on getting V-carve pro.  I assume Mach is the only SW that needs to know about the 5 inch offset and V-carve pro doesn't care?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

Offline Chaoticone

•  5,624 5,624
  • Precision Chaos
    • View Profile
Re: 2 General questions on G54 offset
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 07:12:44 AM »
G54 is ususally used for 1st work coordinate. This is usually where you dictate 0 is for the first part. You could then use a 2nd (G55), 3rd (G56), ect. for multipul part locations. There are lots of other options as well, but some of the G-Code savvy guys will probably help out more than I can. Some of the guys are extreamly sharp at G-Code. Graham Waterworth is our resident GURU. He's crazy good.

I think Poppabear just posted a plug-in for this very thing. Will look and see if I can find it. If I don't do a search for Poppabear and look at last several post by him.

Brett 
;D If you could see the things I have in my head, you would be laughing too. ;D

My guard dog is not what you need to worry about!