Hello Guest it is April 23, 2024, 09:37:14 PM

Author Topic: LazyCam only ouputs 49 lines of g-code? SOLVED  (Read 8867 times)

Re: LazyCam only ouputs 49 lines of g-code?
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2008, 08:33:33 PM »
Got it - had to do a reboot!  Not sure why, but something must just have been cobbed up.  It cranked out a LOT of g-code after that!  Over 50,000 lines!

Does the fact that it's a 3D file matter?  I don't see any indication that it's 3D in the original DXF, in fact there's no ISO view capability or Z value assigned to any of the objects...  Most of them I deleted just to get an outline of the gearset...

I found out the "no offset" limitation in LazyCam, apparently I can't tell the package to offset each tool or operation :(  That's a big problem!

Offline RICH

•  7,427 7,427
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2008, 07:00:49 AM »
tamathumper,
When the file is  imported into into Autocad or Microstation it tells you that it is 3d and you can't manipulate
the file until converted  to a 2d if working in 2d. Each line or circle would represent a cut, boundry , etc which you need to define, delete depending on what you want to do. IE; A circle between two others could represent the toolpath  of
a ball endmill. Once coverted the circle's then become individual lines making up the circles, thus many inidividual cuts for
a simple toolpath.
Even though Lazcam imports the DXF it dosn't know what you want to do with each line until you define them for cutting. I have not fooled with Lazcam Mill ( just " exploring " it's use for turning ) and don't want to make assumptions about the milling and miss guide you. That said, try siimple profiles for manipulation, until you get a feel for what lazcam will do in regards to importing a file, how to define the toolpaths for cutting, etc. ( watch the videos).
Maybe duplicate what the wizards generate for milling and compare the generated gcodes. You can do a lot with the wizards. Soon as you get into
unique profiles you now need something more. Lazcam should satisfy that need.
Lazycam or any other program is not smart enough to automaticaly generate gcode for machining with out addtioinal instructions or definition.
Lazcam is Beta and undocumented, but, at least you have videos for milling giving instructioins on use. I would beliieve that although not a CAM replacement it is still a very powerfull tool for milliing.

RICH

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2008, 08:40:27 AM »
Thanks for the response Rich.

What would be awesome is if LazyCam or some other system would be able to duplicate the sloping profiles of each spoke from shallow on the outside of the wheel to slightly deeper near the hub.

I do have the simpler profiles loaded in LazyCam now, and it puts out g-code that Mach3 will use, although I have to edit it by hand because it doesn't do Tool Changes correctly, leaving off the "0" if I call for Tool 0.  I suppose I should stop being a computer nerd and start numbering my tools at "1".

I'm also trying out Cut2D and that looks pretty good.  I especially like how easy it is to modify the elements in the program and preview the toolpaths.  Now I just need to find $150 somewhere...